How much data do you actually use?

That’s going to bankrupt me with Zevvle :joy::joy:

3MB per minute would be 1.5p per minute, which works out half the price of calls. If you are on the phone for ages then yes, I can see how unlimited calls, large data amounts, etc would be useful.

2 Likes

No phone calls. Already going to have the bailiffs around my house later because I called her on my number itself by accident instead of FaceTime audio :joy::joy: large data amounts definitely appreciated although I suppose I am on WiFi a lot of the time.

And yeah we’re on the phone for quite a while normally, at least 5 hours. With actual FaceTime it’s more 3 hours or so

So the results of my first month of actually monitoring how much data I actually use is in:

Little bit more than I thought it would be to be honest. Plex makes sense because that’s what I use for all my media and I stream quite a lot rather than store it on my phone as I’ve said before. This month I’ll make more use of the 256GB storage on my iPhone!

I didn’t realise how much time I spent on Facebook so maybe I should do something about that! LinkedIn makes sense given my current work climate.

The Harry Potter one is bloody annoying, I literally just opened the app to see what the fuss is about, haven’t actually played it or anything but it looks like despite the app being MASSIVE

It downloads a :poop: ton of crap as soon as you open the app as well! Bit bad when this is aimed at younger people who might not have a huge amount of data. If it uses that much on first launch, I can’t imagine what it’s like in daily use!

The most disappointing one for me is the Monzo app, there’s absolutely no way that it should be using that much data. I use the Monzo and Starling apps equally and it only used 12.4MB.

So there we are, month 1 of me actually tracking my usage!

3 Likes

I’ve gone the other way and turned data off on my iPhone so I can see exactly what’s using it when out and about. At home I just use WiFi.

1 Like

7 posts were split to a new topic: Monzo, Starling, etc

Just for comparison… I’m at the other end of the spectrum!

Ridiculously cheap too, compared to the giffgaff goodybag I was (not) using

2 Likes

Eek, I’m spending over double my previous tariff. So far this month 6.34 GB of data, then there’s 4 hours voice and several texts on top. I can’t wait for the reduced data cost to come in.

2 Likes

Working on it! :slight_smile: :soon:

1 Like

Beat ya!

2 Likes

Very impressive!
I’ll try harder this month…

:1st_place_medal:

I’ve been known to go through twice that on a single commute while tethering and working.

1 Like

I went through £2 in a single day :sweat_smile:

I’ve done over £7 in a day. Yeah really trying to be a bit more restrictive on my data usage for now.

1 Like

I just don’t think I could do it - it’s vastly cheaper for me to use a big provider and get what someone else is paying for !

This is my usage for now. I think June was more but not sure how to get the breakdown for the previous month.

Bloody Nora. It’s striking how wide the gap is between the bigger and smaller data users.

4 Likes

It would be even bigger if the data costs were less :wink:

Joys of tethering while commuting.

1 Like

Sounds like a painful commute if it’s long enough to be worth tethering! :hushed:

2 Likes

Outbound 15 mins cycle to station, 1 hour 20 min train, another train for up to 5 mins then 2 min cycle, or skip the last train and cycle 20 mins the whole way.
Return similar in reverse, or alternative route which is about 15 mins shorter train journey time including interchange time.

Joys of the company moving the office to another city. I work from home about half the week.

2 Likes