5G showing when using Zevvle sim

I’m currently at Ipswich station and noticed that “5G” was beside the network status on my Fairphone 4. I’ve only got a Zevvle SIM in my phone and have no eSIM setup.

I done a speed test and got 180Mbps down and 68Mbps up. Phone status was saying voice network type “LTE”, data network type “NR NSA”.

Does this mean that 5G is already getting rolled out on Zevvle?

Nearly half a GB of mobile data used today. I don’t want to know how much of that was the speed test. I might need to up my data allowance of I’m going to end up testing this more.

6 Likes

:eyes: it does! Added it to the web-app last night. Will post about it soon; technically there are 4 options for data — off, 3G only, 3G/4G only, 3G/4G/5G —but have only made it an on/off option. Perhaps people would find disabling 5G useful given the data usage.

4 Likes

Excellent to hear 5G is rolling out. Very nice timing with my phone upgrade.

What speeds are possible when roaming? Does it depend on country?

I can see the different options would be good as you say to limit data use. I was already thinking of of upping the tariff due to travel next month, so additionally with 5G, starting to get out a little more again I’ve upped the bundle.

My biggest concern is the out of bundle costs when larger amounts of data are required at short notice or not planned in advance.

1 Like

That I do not know; where each country’s operators are with their 5G rollout I’m not sure.

Agreed that’s not ideal; I’m not aware of any changes to upstream tariffs with 5G data, but I’ll have a check… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Some of the other operators restrict the speed or network type that you can access abroad even if faster speeds or network type are available, hence asking for clarification.

I’m aware some other network introduced bigger or cheaper bundles when 5G became available, so will be interesting if that’s the same for you. Thanks for checking.

2 Likes

Ooooh, exciting! @nick, is vowifi on the way too? :eyes:

3 Likes

It is! Zevvle’s API is ready, waiting for BT to flick the switch…

5 Likes

Will 4G/5G calling be a thing? I’ve been in situations in the past where I’ve had good 4G, but no 3G, so the call is done
on 2G then trying to access anything online whilst on the call on 2G was near impossible as it was so slow.

3 Likes

It will be! They’re part of the same rollout — VoLTE and VoWiFi :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Did the MVNE provide any details on whether there are any speed caps on 5G, or whether the 4G speed caps are lifted (I’d expect speed limiting to be implemented at an upstream point in the network and thus completely independent of the underlying radio protocol)? If I remember right it was capped at 40 or 60 Mbps before - is this still the case, and does this vary based on the protocol?

3 Likes

Will check this :pray:

2 Likes

@Rjevski no 5G speed caps, should be the same speeds as BT :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Are the 4G speed caps still a thing (don’t… yet have a SIM to check right now)?

3 Likes

They are, but updated: 150 Mbps download, 60 Mbps upload. :blush:

2 Likes

I just managed 210Mbps down in Cardiff at home, on 5G, indoors! :exploding_head: (Though the upload was only 5Mbps… maybe an iPhone 12 mini thing or due to being inside?)

3 Likes

Mobile networks are heavily focused on download, you can expect 20-40 upload when getting 1gbps download on three for example, not 100% about other networks.

Edit
Seems to be across the networks.

1 Like

Slightly random, but has this affected vpns in some way? For some reason, mine just won’t connect at all on mobile data today.

Maybe my phone is packing in :joy:

I’ve not seen any VPN issues, however I’ve not seen any 5G show up for a week or so. It’s that expected? Just LTE.

3 Likes

Anecdotally I’ve had the same experience. Very fast LTE, but 5G vanished?

My iPhone did offer me a network settings update earlier though — whether that was because I took the sim out temporarily or something else though I’m not sure

1 Like

I’ve had the same - areas which previously had good 5G signal now just have LTE.

2 Likes