Coronavirus affecting mobile usage

How is the coronavirus affecting people’s mobile usage?

I’m mandated work from home for the foreseeable future, so my data usage will be much lower unless there’s an issue with my Zen g.fast broadband connection. Most work calls are now via Slack or whereby, not that I do many anyway, hence on pay as you go calls and texts.

It’s more calls with friends and family that can’t meet face to face, so the unlimited call addon is proving very good value

4 Likes

I think both my work eSIM and Zevvle SIM are both taking a battering this week.

Working from Home due to Surgery rather than
Coronavirus but still I think I think I might as well have them surgically attach my phone to my hand whilst they were at it!

1 Like

More general article about web and mobile usage changes over the past few weeks.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2020/03/covid-19-snapshot-of-internet-traffic-from-ee-and-virgin-media.html

2 Likes

Looks like this month will be the first time in ages that I’ll be under 1GB of usage. Usually I’m around 5-10GB.

2 Likes

App is predicting 143MB for me. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Having recorded a video during my daily exercise and the auto upload backing it up whilst it, I’m now in that odd point where in terms of pricing I’ve used more than 1GB, but in other parts of the app I’m just under 1GB.

Be a 1024 Vs 1000 issue.

1 Like

Sent you a message :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oops on Saturday I’ve used 3/4 of the data I used the while of the previous month in a single day.

Part of it was me daughter watching videos whilst shopping, the other part was my phone having got into an odd state thinking my home WiFi had no internet connection. There was an exclamation mark by the WiFi icon but I couldn’t really understand what was happening. The Zevvle so showing the data usage within the really helped.

Resetting the networking solved the WiFi issue in the end. Seems there’s other reports online of others having similar issues after people have upgraded to Android 10, as I have done in the past few weeks.

2 Likes

Haha, oh no! I managed to do something similar after posting the above - doubling my data usage for the month in one day after Syncthing decided it was time to get busy.

1 Like

Would high-usage notifications be useful? “You’ve used a boatload more data than normal in the last 15 minutes.” ?? Would make the amount & time period customisable…

1 Like

Depends how frequently you get the CDRs from the enabler and whether that frequency is guaranteed. I wouldn’t want you (and thus the users) to assume the CDRs are frequent enough and the notifications can be relied upon just for the enabler to have a bad day and decide to pause CDRs for hours causing no more notifications to be sent out until it’s too late.

3 Likes

For me, it’s how to notify for expected spikes, such as when I’m tethering on the train commute (yeah I know be a while for that to happen again), vs at home and there’s a sudden spike, when it should be connected to the wifi. It’s a hard problem to solve as my usage is rather spikey, thus don’t want to have so many notification that I end up turning them off or ignoring them. Or maybe it’s a case of going down the Monzo route where you get used to the notifications about every bit of spending…

2 Likes

I’m happy taking the hit when something like that happens and using it as my prompt to tune my data settings to make sure it doesn’t happen again.

1 Like

Lockdown has hit my data usage these last two months. 6.4MB in June, 419kB so far this month!

I used more data in a single day this month (just over 1GB) compared to the whole of last month (805 MB). It was due to auto photo and video upload whilst out taking a look at some of the new walking and cycle infrastructure as part of the recent emergency funding.

1 Like

I don’t get a data signal around my house anymore (maybe someone burned down the tower :sweat_smile:) so that helps explain my miniscule usage.

How’s the new infrastructure? ^^

1 Like

It’s a pretty nice improvement with some wands protecting the cycle lane and some streets closed to through motor traffic. I’ve even made a fairly raw video https://youtu.be/5NKdVaYxrw0

1 Like

My data usage so far this month has been 117MB, probably the lowest it’s been since I got a smart phone. Joys of the pandemic.

4 Likes

I raise you a usage of 26MiB for Jan. :grin: