E-sims with Zevvle?

Vodafone now do eSIM for Apple Watch, so is it really that different for the iPhone? It just feels like EE have done a deal to ensure no one else can launch it for at least a year,

1 Like

Could be, but currently I donā€™t really see much advantage, especially for the carriers to implement it other than ā€˜me tooā€™ rights which are hardly worth bragging about.

EE love to be first at everything these days: First for 4G, 5G, Wi-Fi Calling, VoLTE, eSIM, etc.

Allowing eSIM to allow you to insert the SIM of another provider gives carriers no benefit at all and may even lose them money.

As a counter point to that argument, I switched to EE specially because they would let me use my e-sim on my Pixel 3 XL. I had no other reason to leave Three at the time.

My apologies, EE requires you to request a physical SIM and then go to the branch to get an eSIM issued.

You ask for one, they get activated by a set of codes shared through barcode or typed in manually (SM-DP Address, Activation code and possibly a confirmation code, according to Appleā€™s UI for typing details in manually)

App based provisioning or sending me an email with the information (that requires a code I can get from the website as a second factor) would be the best solution in my opinion. Secure and works easily.

If they do Vodafone may have to be the next carrier I move to until Nick gets integrated into EE directly and can offer it

Need it for the watch + roaming without having to mess with iMessage and fiddling with SIMs

They let you do it through their chat platform as well.

EE will also post you an E-SIM pack, containing a barcode and a security code if you ask.

Sort of, in that there was no removable SIM that you put into your phone. But each phone was hard-coded to the network that sold it, there was no way to switch, either at home or when travelling. So not really like an eSIM at all ā€“ the point of an eSIM is that it is ā€˜portableā€™ and swappable like a physical SIM, but without requiring a physical object.

In my opinion, this is the eventual destination. Itā€™s idiosyncratic that we still need little pieces of plastic and metal to tell our phone what network to connect to. Imagine if you had to swap out a little card every time you switched WiFi network providers!

3 Likes

Wow, thatā€™s a bit of a waste of plastic and a pain in the arse.

I can see, (at least at the moment until in-app provisioning is a thing, where you can sign in to the mobile operators app to switch phones) having an eSIM being more of a pain!?

Superior for traveling though.

I actually had a discussion with @nick about this and he asked me the following:

• Would swapping your SIM be too much hassle

To which I answered yes. Why, you may ask? See below.

• Requires carrying an ejector tool
  • Messes around with iMessage as you take SIMs in and out
  • Fiddly and I could possibly lose one
  • If I lose one Iā€™m potentially locked out of purchasing things with my bank account (due to Starling sending texts for 3DS) as well as a plethora of other things (for disclosure I donā€™t think I said this but I was thinking it)

As such Iā€™d rather have my main SIM as an eSIM and then while traveling Iā€™d use a physical SIM, borrowing an ejector from the mobile store or just leaving one in my travel bag to use once rather than having to keep it on hand

1 Like

I have an EE eSIM and a Vodafone SIM in my iPhone. Itā€™s great when travelling. I can pick which network I want to use depending on which one has better roaming where I am. There are also times when in the UK, one network isnā€™t working and I can just swap to the other.

T-Mobile US let you provision the eSIM from the app letting you sign up to their tourist plan and have a local SIM ready for when you land.

1 Like

Fun fact - this number will work with Venmo and others :wink:

You can port this number to Google Voice or similar (there is a fee involved but itā€™s one-time)

Itā€™s how Iā€™m going to be netting myself a US phone number for usage there :wink:

Yeah for someone who travels outside the EU several months a year this would be a huge thing!

1 Like

A very small percentage of the population travel outside the EU each year, so a lower priority for a new network getting off the ground with minimal capital.

3 Likes

I get that. My concern is knowingly purely selfish here. And thatā€™s the great thing about a network where I represent almost a full % of the user base. Remember, itā€™s already a somewhat niche product for many reasons.

Before EU roaming rules, Iā€™d usually grab a quick PAYG SIM while abroad. Is this still often a good idea in non-EU countries?

Yeah itā€™s still the best option unless thereā€™s endless public WiFi

3 Likes

Which is why decoupling the number from the SIM is so important. Iā€™d love for Zevvle to offer an app (or even a SIP interface so you can connect any SIP client) so you can keep using your number even on a different SIM/no SIM at all (also circumvents the lack of WIFI Calling issue).

3 Likes

Itā€™s practically necessary. Why wouldnā€™t it be?

Which there isnā€™t even in rural areas in the UK let alone India, Honduras, Ghana, Bolivia, etc.

Then with Zevvle youā€™ll be using eSIM everywhere when itā€™s launched and then physical SIM cards for everything else

Should Vodafone launch eSIM Iā€™ll jump on their offering, unfortunately I donā€™t see that happening so I may have to shift over to EE after using my Zevvle credit up (to see yknow, the whole fuss about EEā€™s quality of network)

If Zevvle get eSIM though, definitely my first choice - especially if @nick gets me over for a cup of tea to look at that thicc backend code :heart_eyes: