E-sims with Zevvle?

I had a quick search and couldnā€™t see this asked already. My Pixel 3 XL has just had dual sim (with the inbuilt e-sim) functionality enabled as part of Android Q Beta 2. This means I can finally ditch my work phone once I find a network that supports them!

Will Zevvle support e-sims?

2 Likes

Not for the time being; itā€™ll happen eventually but I canā€™t say whenā€¦ maybe if/when our network enabler supports it, otherwise when we connect directly with a host network. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Would you be able to poke your network enabler to ask if theyā€™re planning on it?

1 Like

Aha I will askā€¦ :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yummy :wink:

Canā€™t wait until eSIM exists in the UK properly.

Would you be able to roll a better implementation than EE if possible? I mean in the app just tap ā€œprovision me an eSIMā€ and not have to have one sent to the house.

Might be able to be used in ways you wouldnā€™t expect actually, like victims of domestic abuse could get a Zevvle SIM to then contact an organization for help in the background.

3 Likes

Bloody hell how EE does eSIMs pisses me off. Why tf canā€™t you generate one in your MyEE online or in the app?! T-Mobile US has an eSIM provisioning app, for instance.

1 Like

I actually asked them because I was planning on having my plan cancelled like, that day with my current provider to which they told me I had to receive a physical one and then go into the store to get the eSIM lmao

Yeah, itā€™s super half-baked

Why even bother I wonder.

Better than O2 though who donā€™t even have it done.

I wanted to dual wield SIM cards like I did in my old one plus but itā€™s not supported at all.

I think Apple and google should require it to be supported by carriers that want to sell their phones tbh

1 Like

Wotā€™s an esim please?

1 Like

Itā€™s used a lot by business customers, of which EE is really trying to keep/gain rn. Otherwise, thereā€™s not much point apart from being the first to do it and having bragging rights.

Itā€™s funny to see how far behind O2 are now seeing as they were the first to launch the iPhone in the UK way back.

1 Like

An ā€˜embedded-SIMā€™. Basically the phone can just imagine it has a normal SIM in a second slot, leaving the actual slot empty, or removing the need for a slot altogether.

Itā€™s good for roaming if the phoneā€™s unlocked, you can have your home SIM as an eSIM and use a local normal SIM in the slot if you donā€™t have inclusive roaming on your home plan.

Problem is that the network you want an eSIM for has to support issuing them - of which in the UK, only EE does for phones. Once itā€™s in (on) the phone, you donā€™t have to worry about the roaming network supporting it - it just looks like youā€™re connecting normally to them, no difference

1 Like

:raised_hand: hi I have relatives in turkey, Netherlands, and a SO in America so an eSIM is very needed by me :cold_sweat: otherwise Iā€™m going to lose my actual SIM abroad

Oh, thereā€™s definitely a point in people having it. I was saying for the network thereā€™s not much point half-baking it apart from the exclusivity from being the first.

I have one myself for instance

1 Like

How can you send an eSIM via the post, isnā€™t it digital!?

Iā€™ve not had a phone capable of it yet, so how do/can eSIMs get activated and how would you get one?

Also say I get a new phone; how would a user switch from the eSIM in one device to another?

You activate it with a barcode which often gets sent on paper via the post :neutral_face:

Iā€™ve not yet needed to transfer to a new phone so donā€™t know how that works. I guess another barcode?

1 Like

Ah, OK.

I guess the store would have the details or be able to print them out if you needed it or a replacement done quick?

App provisioning or at the worst showing a code on another screen to scan would seem to be a more ideal solution though.

It would. It definitely feels like e-sims have caught everybody by supriseā€¦

2 Likes

Iā€™m surprised Vodafone havenā€™t launched them yet, though they may next month. Did EE have an exclusivity deal with Apple or do other providers just show no interest?

I think EE has exclusively on the Cellular Apple Watch which was the first eSIM device, at least that Iā€™m aware of, so the other networks had no incentive to build it out for a product that they couldnā€™t sell.

I love how eSIM is talked about like itā€™s some cool new technology but back in the day CDMA Networks (used by Sprint and Verizon in the US) didnā€™t have SIM cards either and worked very similarly to the much hyped ā€˜eSIMā€™.

3 Likes