E-sims with Zevvle?

I had a quick search and couldn’t see this asked already. My Pixel 3 XL has just had dual sim (with the inbuilt e-sim) functionality enabled as part of Android Q Beta 2. This means I can finally ditch my work phone once I find a network that supports them!

Will Zevvle support e-sims?

2 Likes

Not for the time being; it’ll happen eventually but I can’t say when… maybe if/when our network enabler supports it, otherwise when we connect directly with a host network. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Would you be able to poke your network enabler to ask if they’re planning on it?

1 Like

Aha I will ask… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yummy :wink:

Can’t wait until eSIM exists in the UK properly.

Would you be able to roll a better implementation than EE if possible? I mean in the app just tap “provision me an eSIM” and not have to have one sent to the house.

Might be able to be used in ways you wouldn’t expect actually, like victims of domestic abuse could get a Zevvle SIM to then contact an organization for help in the background.

2 Likes

Bloody hell how EE does eSIMs pisses me off. Why tf can’t you generate one in your MyEE online or in the app?! T-Mobile US has an eSIM provisioning app, for instance.

1 Like

I actually asked them because I was planning on having my plan cancelled like, that day with my current provider to which they told me I had to receive a physical one and then go into the store to get the eSIM lmao

Yeah, it’s super half-baked

Why even bother I wonder.

Better than O2 though who don’t even have it done.

I wanted to dual wield SIM cards like I did in my old one plus but it’s not supported at all.

I think Apple and google should require it to be supported by carriers that want to sell their phones tbh

1 Like

Wot’s an esim please?

1 Like

It’s used a lot by business customers, of which EE is really trying to keep/gain rn. Otherwise, there’s not much point apart from being the first to do it and having bragging rights.

It’s funny to see how far behind O2 are now seeing as they were the first to launch the iPhone in the UK way back.

1 Like

An ‘embedded-SIM’. Basically the phone can just imagine it has a normal SIM in a second slot, leaving the actual slot empty, or removing the need for a slot altogether.

It’s good for roaming if the phone’s unlocked, you can have your home SIM as an eSIM and use a local normal SIM in the slot if you don’t have inclusive roaming on your home plan.

Problem is that the network you want an eSIM for has to support issuing them - of which in the UK, only EE does for phones. Once it’s in (on) the phone, you don’t have to worry about the roaming network supporting it - it just looks like you’re connecting normally to them, no difference

1 Like

:raised_hand: hi I have relatives in turkey, Netherlands, and a SO in America so an eSIM is very needed by me :cold_sweat: otherwise I’m going to lose my actual SIM abroad

Oh, there’s definitely a point in people having it. I was saying for the network there’s not much point half-baking it apart from the exclusivity from being the first.

I have one myself for instance

1 Like

How can you send an eSIM via the post, isn’t it digital!?

I’ve not had a phone capable of it yet, so how do/can eSIMs get activated and how would you get one?

Also say I get a new phone; how would a user switch from the eSIM in one device to another?

You activate it with a barcode which often gets sent on paper via the post :neutral_face:

I’ve not yet needed to transfer to a new phone so don’t know how that works. I guess another barcode?

1 Like

Ah, OK.

I guess the store would have the details or be able to print them out if you needed it or a replacement done quick?

App provisioning or at the worst showing a code on another screen to scan would seem to be a more ideal solution though.

It would. It definitely feels like e-sims have caught everybody by suprise…

2 Likes

I’m surprised Vodafone haven’t launched them yet, though they may next month. Did EE have an exclusivity deal with Apple or do other providers just show no interest?

I think EE has exclusively on the Cellular Apple Watch which was the first eSIM device, at least that I’m aware of, so the other networks had no incentive to build it out for a product that they couldn’t sell.

I love how eSIM is talked about like it’s some cool new technology but back in the day CDMA Networks (used by Sprint and Verizon in the US) didn’t have SIM cards either and worked very similarly to the much hyped ‘eSIM’.

3 Likes