EE vs Zevvle Data Speed?

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I couldn’t find any details about it.

How do 4G/3G speeds with Zevvle compare to EE?

Under what scenarios would I see slower speeds with Zevvle compared to if I had an EE SIM? And how often do these scenarios realistically occur?

Thanks!

3 Likes

Hi James! Thank you for joining the forum. :blush:

Our speeds are throttled to 40/20 Mbps download/upload, which is above the typical speed for regular 4G and perfectly capable of streaming 4K video. EE’s Essential plans are limited to 60 Mbps, and on the Max/uncapped plans they say it’s realistically “up to 90Mbps,” but the theoretical limits are much higher.

Where you might notice is how long it takes to download a file or the extent to which a video preloads, but whether you’ll notice it… I’m not so sure.

To quote Rosie:

Hope that helps!

4 Likes

Thanks Nick! Sounds good, I can live with 40 Mbps max. And explains my brief speed test comparison.

As well as the cap, does priority come into it at all? E.g. would EE prioritise their own customers for data over Zevvle in any scenarios? If so, how often does it happen in practise?

3 Likes

That I’m not sure; let me ask. I know it happened with iD Mobile and Three’s network…

5 Likes

Yep, and it was so bad I couldn’t make a single call from Canary Wharf, let alone access any data.

I was with iD just over a month before I realised that there was no point in paying for a bundle of calls, texts and data if I couldn’t actually use them more often than not. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

And here’s their response:

I can confirm that it would be against the BT [EE’s parent company]/TSL [Zevvle’s supplier] contract for the quality of service to be different between a BT subscriber and a TSL end user.

However, this doesn’t mean they have to share all their services (e.g., 5G, Band 20 [800 MHz], etc.), and Virgin didn’t get 4G until 4 years after EE launched it (hopefully that won’t be the case with 5G).

5 Likes

Ace! Thanks for checking Nick!

Just waiting on my switch today :grin:

1 Like

Do you think TSL will ever get speed parity for their end users?

Or will you ever get this with an eventual direct connection to EE

1 Like

Probably not parity, but it’ll no doubt increase as EE’s own speed does. E.g., Virgin Mobile is capped at 70 Mbps. As for when, I don’t know. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I’ve actually had 150Mbps on EE in London, so at least they’re telling the truth (a nice change in such an industry).

1 Like

Sorry to bump up a 2019 thread up but had an idea if users would like the “Go Faster add-on” lets us pay an extra £3 or so, I know that EE and BT offers this.

Hey Francis! Thank you for joining :blush:

This isn’t something we could offer I’m afraid — our data speeds are uniform, and limited to 60 Mbps.

3 Likes

Did that get bumped up recently? Always thought it was capped at 40, so that’s a welcome change. What’s the upload cap these days? :slight_smile:

I wonder how that’s going to come into play given I’ve heard Transatel are bringing in 5G (and VoLTE/VoWiFi etc over the summer; hopefully Zevvle will be able to take advantage of all this!) — main benefit of 5G here would be the latency I suppose, which would definitely be notable.

2 Likes

It was last year, I can’t remember exactly when… I believe upload is 30 Mbps!

:wink:

4 Likes

Is it still correct the MVNOs don’t have access to the 800mhz band?

1 Like

Yes, but it’s in the pipeline :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oooo. Out of curiosity, is there a way I can tell if I’d benefit from 800Mhz, i.e. at home?

“Does your signal tank when you’re in front of a wall” is along the right lines! Being lower, it’s better at passing through walls.

1 Like

Are we any nearer Zevvle speeds outside of the European Roaming Zone @nick? :wink:

I noticed even Vodafone etc are charging £5/mb in some markets so I think perhaps it could be worth offering as a toggle if possible or maybe we could set a max PPG and it would tell us what countries we can go to on that particular Pay Per Gigabyte cap

Alternatively, the sooner Zevvle makes a move towards eSIM, we could use physical SIM slots to get a domestic SIM when going abroad :cry: hoping something could come along soon as a solution because I’m going to need Vietnam roaming in the post-border closures world

1 Like

Not exactly I’m afraid; we will have a “daily roaming bundle” on its way soon if that might be useful to anyone, but nothing like the EU data rates.

2 Likes