How will launch look?

Iā€™m guessing you canā€™t go into too much detail at this point, but I was wondering how launch may work in terms of how many SIMs will be availableā€¦

• How many SIM cards will you release in your first batch?
  • How many users are on the waiting list for a SIM?
  • How will you decide who gets one? (first come first serve?)
  • How can we find out what position we are in the waiting list?

Sorry for all the questions. My phone contract comes to an end very soon and Iā€™m keen not to get stuck on another contract I canā€™t get out of (Iā€™m aware I could go PAYG)

3 Likes

TBD! Certainly enough for everyone here and more :slight_smile:

Under 1,000 at the moment, although weā€™re expecting that to change with a spicy referral programā€¦ :hot_pepper:

If youā€™re coming to get one in-person or have been on the forum (i.e., an early supporter like yourself ā€“ thank you!), youā€™ll be first in line. After that, itā€™ll be the waiting list sorted by 1) # of referrals and 2) when you signed up.

Iā€™ll add that in when our referrals get a makeover, although youā€™re definitely near the top :slight_smile:

Hope that somewhat answers things!

3 Likes

Hey @nick,

Will porting be available from the get go?

1 Like

3/4 yes ā€“ weā€™re not planning to build it into the app from day 1, but can do it manually if you send us a PAC code. Unless requested otherwise, itā€™ll probably be something I work on when thereā€™s a spare momentā€¦

As a side note, new porting regulations are coming in on the 1st of July to make things easier. Ofcom werenā€™t happy with some networks playing hard-to-switch, so from July onwards you can change provider without contacting the one youā€™re leaving. And also, they (we, too!) have to ~immediately tell you what itā€™ll cost to leave, or any outstanding balances with PAYG. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Ah thatā€™s good news. Not come across that one but Iā€™m mainly stuck in the ā€œlandlineā€ porting world, which if you think PAC Codes are a pain is absolute bliss compared to the minefield that is the GNP process!

1 Like

I donā€™t dare think! :grimacing:

Didnā€™t this cause lots of issues with landlines when people were being switched to other providers without their express consent due to sharp business active by unscrupulous sales people?

What safeguards have been built in to prevent unwanted switching?

1 Like

I should have clarified ā€“ by ā€˜contactingā€™ I meant talking to a person. Understandably, Ofcom isnā€™t a fan of those unscrupulous sales people that you mention, so every network will have to offer an automated way to switch. :slight_smile:

1 Like