Shared data proposal (how it'll work, pricing, questions?)

One of those reasons why Iā€™m glad thereā€™s no Windows based computers in my house.

I though Windows had a way to say the network is metered thus limit some network traffic like automatic updates.

2 Likes

I own no Windows devices besides a work laptop. My girlfriend works in game development as well, so there has to be just one Windows device at least.

Windows does supposedly have a feature to stop updates over metered connections but it doesnā€™t work.

Linux (Fedora) has a feature to stop updates over metered connections and even warns you when doing manual updates through GUI. It works amazingly by default!

3 Likes

If you have a pihole, you can use a list like this:

https://www.optik-berndt.de/WinUpdate.txt

2 Likes

Iā€™m not quite sure how Iā€™d get a PiHole setup in an apartment that is only served using a mobile data hotspot, most Raspberry Piā€™s need ethernet as far as I know?

When you say metered Windows doesnā€™t workā€¦ what do you mean? Do you get an error? Do you manually turn it on etc

The Raspbery Pi4 I have has WiFi.

From the tech specs:

2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz IEEE 802.11ac wireless, Bluetooth 5.0, BLE
Gigabit Ethernet

https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-4-model-b/specifications/

The Pi Zero W is enough for the pihole.

Setup with DietPi is also super simple

Bear in mind there is quite a few vendors who push updates through windows update such as Adobe and most driver updates also come through there so printers, bios, ports, gpu etc

But windows OS updates shouldnā€™t be more than a couple of GB a month, I get consistently less than 0.6gb.

If you are running a program that needs additional Microsoft products such as SQL on your workstation then data usage will go up.

Even feature updates which are every 6 months or so are only ~3gb.

Your Org could be overriding settings that you modify, and can be pushing o365 updates and similar if itā€™s a managed device.

Proper off topic this.

Is there an ETA on this? Last month you said next month but I know there has been a change of two.

I only ask because Iā€™ve reduced my top-ups to eat up excess credit on my account before switching to bundles, and that credit is getting low so itā€™s now become a bit of a game of getting the credit to last without needing a top-up :smiley:

2 Likes

Yes; itā€™ll be live tomorrow afternoon (love a Friday deploy). Might not get the website updates finished, but weā€™ll be able to switch you across then. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Is there still am option for PAYG calls as mentioned somewhere in the middle of this thread?

1 Like

Yes! Weā€™re doing away with the concept of ā€œdata-onlyā€ SIMs so theyā€™ll come with PAYG calls & texts unless you specify the unlimited option. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I know I could just wait until tomorrow but I love updating spread sheets!

Will PAYG sims be the same cost as the data bundles from right at the top of this thread? Just need to add the call costs on top?

Itā€™s addictive isnā€™t it?!

Yes, itā€™ll be the same costs minus the Ā£5 for unlimited calls and texts, e.g. 1 GB for 1 SIM would be Ā£5/month, then 3p/minute & 3p/SMS on top (data wonā€™t be PAYG).

3 Likes

Iā€™ve accrued some credit on the PAYG plan. What will happen to that if I move over to this pricing model?

Itā€™ll still exist under your account (renamed to ā€˜cash balanceā€™), but we can put it towards one of the plans if that helps? Thatā€™s not automated, so send us a message and we can do it manually for you. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Are the bundles starting on the 1st of the month? If so, what happens in the first month with regard to price and bundle amount? Is it pro-rated?

Yes to starting on the first of the month; we prorate the price in the second month in the form of a discount. At the moment we donā€™t prorate the data allowance and give you the full amount regardless of the date; if this becomes a problem we may change it, but donā€™t want it to get confusingā€¦

2 Likes

You could still make a data only SIM by going into the settings and disabling the calls and texts.

2 Likes

Excuse the late-afternoon-ness, but itā€™s here! :smiley:

4 Likes