The new SE 👀

Sooo… I rarely pay attention to new phones nowadays, but Apple finally released the new SE (available on the 24th April):

It’s slightly bigger, but doesn’t seem ridiculous. I’ve had the old one for ~4 years, and coincidentally my home button broke 2 hours ago… and the battery’s terrible. Also the new one comes in red! :zevvle: Yes, I’m sold.

7 Likes

Looks really nice! If I had known they were gonna launch a new iPhone SE I wouldn’t have bought an iphone 7 :joy::joy:

1 Like

It’s good that at least there is an upgrade path for those who like the iPhone 8 form factor and Touch ID (Face ID is a disaster for many reasons), but it’s a shame the iPhone 5/5S/SE form factor is well and truly dead.

Also shame that there’s no gold option. I am not a fan of the big Apple logo on the back either, I much prefer how it was on the 8 where the logo is on the top half of it and the “iPhone” mark (with the regulatory logos) at the bottom.

2 Likes

I see it supports e-sims. Is that anywhere on the horizon for zevvle? :wink:

1 Like

Not until the MVNE supports it. The problem is that since this is essentially an oligopoly and there’s no incentive for them to do it if nobody else does. To the best of my knowledge even “direct” MVNOs of the big carriers (like GiffGaff or Smarty) don’t provide it so there’s really no reason for Zevvle’s MVNE to do it.

3 Likes

Also seems a bit ridiculous that it has WiFi 6, but the MacBook Pro doesn’t yet? (More of a complaint about the MacBooks, glad to see it on the phone)

2 Likes

Not as bad as their laptops charging via USB-C while their phones don’t. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Apple makes a lot of money from lightning accessories, it’s not going anywhere until the EU ban it, and then it’s probably only changing for Europe :slight_smile:

2 Likes

True, they actually had me with the ‘SE’ branding until I saw the 4.7…

Technically they do support it, but not yet with their EE integration. They have a separate network for global roaming and IoT with eSIMs, but that means a different setup, new SIMs, etc. for us. At some point… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

If they were courageous enough to remove the headphone jack, you’d hope they could be consistent. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Relatedly, @nick do you know whether EE has much support for gigabit LTE? As now all new iPhones including the SE are supporting it

1 Like

Let me check! :slight_smile:

They’ve been rolling it out for a while :blush:@nick @jpc

Yes, but I’m not sure if we have access to it, like band 20 (800MHz).

1 Like

Depends what speed your limited to (if your restricted at all) :blush:

1 Like

Curious as to why they’re capping it at 400Mbps despite the underlying tech being able to reach 1Gbps in perfect conditions?

1 Like

I’m not sure lol