The price of data worldwide

Someone sent me this article from the Guardian; it’s a study from Cable on the price of mobile data around the world…

The range is amazing – the UK comes in at 136 (out of 230) with an average of £5.15/GB, miles behind India at the top with 20p/GB(!). The most expensive is Zimbabwe with a £57.77/GB average. (Using current exchange rates.)

As the study mentions, the price comes down to a lot of things – reliance on mobile networks, cost of infrastructure, economy wealth, average consumption… You can download the spreadsheet here.

2 Likes

That’s interesting. 20p a GB sounds great, depends on the speed though.
I’ve got pretty decent speeds on 4g in Thailand, better than my home fibre :woozy_face:
4g speeds quite rural area though.
Where my dad lives in wales doesn’t even have fibre :flushed:

1 Like

As of April last year, India’s fastest network was ~45% slower (9.3 Mbps) than the global 4G average (16.9 Mbps), according to OpenSignal (ranked 88th worldwide), so, alright I guess…

This is too real – I had to use 4G at home for anything useful as the broadband was atrocious…

India is still well ahead of some parts of Wales :joy:.
Have been tempted to get a 4g router and a all you can eat data sim for home broadband

1 Like

That’s what I have just done. I’m surrounded by FTTP and FTTC but our street was excluded for reasons known only to Openreach.

I’ve just got the Three HomeFi which gives 25-35 Mbps down and 4-8Mbps up. Basically 10 times faster than the landline for half the price.

Too early to comment on long term reliability, though we once had the BT line off for 3 months!

1 Like

Do Zevvle pay a different price for data packets that go to UK severs and international servers or have EE given you a set rate ?

I ask this because I know if someone who was looking to set up an isp in another country and the rates for usage were all tiered depending on which country/region the data was going to.

1 Like

Kind of (although it’s through our network enabler, not EE) – we have UK rates, then EU rates are slightly different as well. :slight_smile:

1 Like

By EU rates do you mean roaming or connecting to an EU server from the uk? What about the US etc

1 Like

Only roaming – where the data goes doesn’t matter, just the country you’re in. There are a few different zones for the rest of the world (which get progressively more expensive) – USA being one, then various parts of Asia, Africa and “exceptional countries.”

3 Likes