Unlimited data and no minutes or texts for me thx

I literally only use data

• music streaming
  • iMessage
  • occasional YouTube but not really
  • occasional Netflix but still not really
  • FaceTime (normal and audio)
2 Likes

Although still torn, Iā€™d say overall itā€™s a good idea. I can see where it would be useful for some devices like the other halfā€™s phone as she eats through data on Facebook at a rate that I canā€™t fathom!

2 Likes

Whatever. :smile: Iā€™ll be sticking with PAYG.

2 Likes

Honestly?

badger

The whole idea of Zevvle was that it would be no BS, just pay for what you use across the entire account.

Now we have bundles? And theyā€™re per-SIM, which means you canā€™t even share the data pool with a separate, data-hungry device like a tablet or mobile broadband dongle? Itā€™s as if Monzo suddenly turned around and started charging for things like foreign payments, declined direct debits (and standing orders, because why not? :joy:).

3 Likes

I get what youā€™re saying but it appears most people want and expect bundles and no longer understand what ā€˜realā€™ PAYG is.

There was an example of FintechTalk that was a prime example of that.

People these days see what are effectively 1 month rolling contracts that are prepaid as PAYG these days.

Iā€™m warming to the idea of having the ability to mix and match the best of both worlds depending on the device whilst still managing it from one account and one account balance.

2 Likes

The current setup isnā€™t changing, and I hope itā€™ll work for a lot of people (itā€™s still the cheapest data rate we know of in the UK). But it doesnā€™t work for others ā€“ a big problem being that PAYG is variable and hard to budget with ā€“ and these bundles exist whether we like it or not. Hiding them and saying ā€œThe best we can do is Ā£150 for 30 GB.ā€ would be a lie, and in my opinion worse than sticking to a no-bundle policy.

Have to disagree with that one ā€“ weā€™re not taking anything away or charging extra for what currently exists. Itā€™s an addition that will hopefully work better for some people. :slight_smile:

P.S. love the gif.

5 Likes

I actually think this will work really well for my own usage scenario. Being able to apply it per SIM is perfect for me but I can see it as appearing less simple for others. Getā€™s my vote though.

2 Likes

Yeah I get what you mean but it still breaks the whole idea behind the brand. We know the pricing model most networks use is predatory, designed to catch people off-guard and/or make them pay for stuff they wonā€™t end up using and I guess the whole idea behind Zevvle was that it would be against that by providing a simple and fair model (fair to both sides that is). If you now start doing the same thing the others do (even if itā€™s still optional) it IMO detracts from the whole idea behind Zevvle.

Could you make the bundles transparent and automatically applied, so like up to the first GB is charged at this price, after that and up to 5GB itā€™s that price, and so on and so forth. It works out to roughly the same price for heavy users without the whole idea of ā€œbundlesā€. It should really apply per account though, so people with tablets or secondary devices are covered too (it could actually increase usage, as people who would otherwise not consider a second SIM due to separate costs would opt to get one if the prices are inline with their main devices and can take advantage of discounted rates due to high usage).

3 Likes

I do like the idea of automatic discounts for bulk usage, however I suspect the network enabler wonā€™t allow it.

1 Like

Iā€™m sure it can be negotiated. Zevvle could offer it as a trial and see the uptake, then come back to the enabler and say ā€œIā€™ve got X customers that would be interested in this that otherwise wouldnā€™t consider it at allā€.

It reminds me of the Google fi project where you hit an amount of usage, and then donā€™t get charged any more. A variation of that is a nice way to help the higher data users.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s exactly what I was thinking. I want a mobile carrier that gets out of my way where I donā€™t have to think about bundles, etc. Just charge me a fair price automatically and let me get on with my day.

5 Likes

Yes, we could do something like that, but again itā€™d probably have to be per-SIMā€¦ Iā€™ll have a think. Thatā€™s a good idea.

4 Likes

They charge for cash deposits and Ā£15.50 for a Ā£20 overdraft, itā€™s hardly like theyā€™re not nickel and diming you already :laughing:

Zevvle costs too much for data like that though, itā€™s 2019. I can get 20GB for Ā£20 with unlimited texts and unlimited minutes.

Why would I want to pay for everything I use if it costs me more, Iā€™d rather pay for what I donā€™t use and save money :slight_smile:

Indeed it is. My spreadsheet tells me my exact outgoings each month! I canā€™t have it maybe being 5x more one month because my internet went down ;(

It would be nice if it was account-wide tbh, but I reckon itā€™d be open to a lot of abuse (for instance my mother, father, girlfriend (when sheā€™s in the country) and me could all share data for that price). Granted I think most people wouldnā€™t do that, as most donā€™t have the devices to do it!

Eh, Zevvle pays wholesale prices and they canā€™t even see what youā€™ve been using your data on. Doubt the enabler will let them charge less if you individually use more.

They throttle your speeds.

1 Like

Unusually, I find myself in agreement with @Rjevski. Iā€™ve skim read the above and it doesnā€™t look simple to understand. Admittedly, I couldnā€™t be bothered to concentrate on it because Iā€™m busy.

Either way, the simplicity of the initial offer is what attracted me. Now itā€™s starting to get a bit more complex.

Reading between the lines, this is what @Nick has to work with and much of it is outside his control though heā€™s been trying to shake things up and give clarity to an area where consumers are ripped off.

Iā€™m torn.

5 Likes

How do you think Nick could keep his simplicity pricing and at the same expand his customer base with some better value?

Perhaps let you transparently pick between bundled pricing and PAYG?

For instance you could get 6 SIM card (5 PAYG) and 1 Bundled? It could show these in the app separately to make it very clear for the customer.

1 Like

I think virtually every user is used to either PAYG credit or a bundle from the same provider ,

If done with a great UI and UX I think it wonā€™t be a bad thing at all.

Ultimately people are using more and more data , and to get a good market share I reckon bundles will have to come,

If you get investors theyā€™ll put pressure into making more money.

1 Like

Exactly. If something has a good UX itā€™ll easily distinguish between these - as such I might have 1 sim on PAYG and then 1 on a bundled plan.

Maybe this could even be turned into some revenue? Maybe I could pay a discounted rate to transfer some of my data to the balance of my account?

For instance if we make it easy maths, say my girlfriend visits the UK. I need data for her but I donā€™t want to like, pay for it on PAYG rates when I have like 20GB left on my plan. Maybe @nick could let me pay Ā£5 off my card for Ā£8 worth of credit, as heā€™d be making money still on the price of the discounted data?

I think Iā€™m thinking correctly anyways.

1 Like

The more I think about this the more I like it actually.

I can have packages on mine and the other halfā€™s SIM, mine being probably 30GB just in case and hers being 10GB and the SIM in my car, iPad, etc just being PAYG.

It should end up being cheaper than my Sharer Plan with EE (currently over Ā£125!) I hope and still have all the granular control that Iā€™m enjoying from Zevvle right now!

1 Like

Iā€™d prefer to be able to bundle across the sims though.

Edit to add: after some thought what Iā€™d REALLY like is this - shared data/voice/sms across all of my SIMs with capping like you get on TFL, so if my data usage is less than the cost of the bundle you just charge for the data, but as soon as I hit the price of the bundle you charge for that. If I go over that bundle usage, then do the same for the next bundle up etc.

3 Likes