The question of bundles

Hello,

I didnā€™t think Iā€™d be writing this, but here goesā€¦

Weā€™re looking into offering bundles, and Iā€™ll be the first to point out the hypocrisy: here, here, here, etcā€¦

Whatā€™s going on?!

Our supplier ā€“ a network enabler that have launched many MVNOs ā€“ have their own fixed-rate bundles, and the prices have come down a lot recently making them more competitive.

If we had to create them ourselves with averages over our customer base we wouldnā€™t do it, but as theyā€™ve done it alreadyā€¦ whether we offer them or not, they exist, and if you use more than 1-2 GBs of data we can save you money.

What bundles?

Weā€™d offer 4 different ones ā€“ 3, 10 or 30 GB and then one for unlimited mobile/landline minutes & texts (provided you donā€™t start a call centre). For example, you could have a 10 GB bundle and PAYG voice/text, vice versa or both bundles together depending on what you use and how you want it setup.

Itā€™d be super easy to switch, downgrade, upgrade, turn off, etc, and youā€™d still see the detailed usage history.

A few points worth mentioning:

• Our PAYG pricing wonā€™t change.
  • The bundles would be per SIM, not per account.
  • They reset with calendar months, and you could switch to a bundle from PAYG at anytime, but only switch back to PAYG at the start of a new month.
  • They include EU roaming and unlimited tethering (i.e. hotspot).

The iffiest thing is out-of-bundle charges (weā€™d have to charge 10p/MB, and thatā€™s sketchy at best), which for 3 or 10 GBs we can avoid by upgrading you to the next plan, but for the 30 GB one weā€™d have to disconnect the SIM.

But the all-important question ā€“ what do you want:

• Yes, I want this!
  • No, this is a terrible idea.

0 voters

Let us know your thoughts below,

Nick :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ooooooh, Iā€™m really torn on this one!

I like the idea of a bundle, but then I also like the idea of potentially saving money for just using the data I actually use and taking the rough with the smooth. But then I also like the idea of knowing what Iā€™m paying each month.

I think the kicker for me is that itā€™s per SIM rather than per account. What I had with EE and what I like about Zevvle now is that itā€™s one ā€˜pane of glassā€™ for management and I donā€™t have to get bogged down with the account balances, minutes, whatever for each device.

2 Likes

That wouldnā€™t change, and the account would still share 1 balance. But youā€™re right, weā€™d have work to do to make everything super clear. One benefit of doing this is that if you need 10 GB all of a sudden, we can make it happen without it costing too much, then switch back to PAYG when you use lessā€¦

1 Like

Itā€™s good, we really need it. Itā€™s cheaper than going PAYG.

Both Zevvle & the customer would benefit:
Zevvle would benefit because the data will be prepaid and the customer because it would be cheaper.

So letā€™s say itā€™s Ā£5/GB using PAYG (calculated by the byte), but if we buy letā€™s say 30GB upfront, it would cost a reasonable amount (cause obviously 30GB PAYG for Ā£150 is not even an option).

Is that what you thought of?

2 Likes

Interesting development, I was wondering how long it was going to take. Iā€™m rather torn by this. Iā€™ve been thinking that if the pricing comes down to around Ā£2 per GB it then becomes competitive with many of the smaller bundles around.

The mention of calendar month is confusing. So if you start a bundle at the end of the month do you only get a few days usage of it?

Is there any option of data rollover?

Totally agree on this one, I think it would be rather neat to be able to pool one large package across multiple people in the house.

This is something that I like, especially if I have a month of busier train commuting or travelling and end up using more data. Cheaper PAYG data would be preferable, though having a more even monthly charge for the phone is also nice to have.

If the PAYG data stays as it is at the moment, I probably would end up going for the 10GB per month option, and then 30GB when travelling, as I then wouldnā€™t need to worry about the data costs.

1 Like

I think there should be a ā€œIā€™m torn on thisā€ voting option.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s right; it would cost a lot less.

If you start in the middle (or end) of a month it would be pro-rated, so e.g. starting a 10GB bundle on the 15th would give you 5GB until the end of the month.

Not without hacking it on our sideā€¦ :confused:

I agree, although itā€™s why multi-SIM accounts hardly exist at the moment ā€“ it raises average usage/bundle and weā€™d head back to PAYG rates.

If we made up the terms it could be different, but at the moment weā€™re passing them through from our supplierā€¦ weā€™re only starting out, and as wholesale rates improve, we get better network access, etc. thereā€™s a world of possibility.

Argh I didnā€™t think of it ā€“ itā€™s now too late as adding an option would reset the pollā€¦

Iā€™m very interested in bundles. Would make the pricing a lot more competitive, would this give us the same access speed to EEā€™s network as we get now?

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Yes it would ā€“ 40/20 Mbps down/up.

1 Like

Thanks for helping me find it Nick :wink: weā€™ve been talking for a while today and you posted a link in the support chat

1 Like

This would be good for me. Iā€™ve wanted to join and even download the app but I currently use between 4-10gb of data a month. So a bundle would be better. Depending if it competes with what I currently pay.

2 Likes

Wow, this sounds like it could be a really good implementation of bundles - clear, transparent and probably good value compared to PAYG. I also love how you can be on bundle for 10GB and still be on the PAYG rates (3p/min or txt) at the same time.

100% let us access these!

1 Like

Would be nice if we could disable texts entirely and just get bundled data tbh.

Pair that with eSIM (thatā€™s Apple Watch compatible) and let me perhaps link that across an account rather than a SIM (I donā€™t intend to give all my closest friends a SIM but maybe my girlfriend for when she visits the UK + my Apple Watch) would be nice

Maybe that could be a special expat offer? Pay Ā£1 a month for an extra SIM card and a family could use it while visiting, taking out of their balance

1 Like

Tap on your SIM card from the account screen, and at the bottom thereā€™s a toggle for SMS. :wink:

2 Likes

If you were to start having big data bundles like these Iā€™d start wishing I didnā€™t work for a network and get a discount so I could make this my main line haha

1 Like

Does that just disable sending or receiving too?

Ah, just sending for now Iā€™m afraid.

Is receiving free?

Iā€™d like separate toggles for receiving/sending if possible when this is done.

Yes it is, although receiving calls outside of Europe does cost, so weā€™ll have a toggle for that.

3 Likes

PAYG Data and bundled unlimited minutes for me please

2 Likes