Upcoming changes to Zevvle [outdated]

I have negligible data usage, but lots of calls and texts. This pricing would be prohibitive and would force me to move on, if it was the only option.

I’m very keen on a single allowance across multiple Sims for simplicity, but I don’t need data plus calls and texts all in one package.

My thoughts on this:

Very unattractive, and way too expensive.

My usage is quite spikey, so I like the true payg model,as I don’t have wasted bundles, or overcharges. At the moment my normal usage per month is about 2.5GB, and a few min, so just shy of the £5 pcm minimum. About 3-4 times per year I use quite a lot more data.

With this model I’d have to pay twice as much, and then some extra in months where I use a bit more data than usual. And there are plenty of providers that offer significantly more data for £10 pcm. And let’s face: for most people data is the only thing that matters these days…

Just my thoughts, and you guys need to do what’s right for you, but quite frankly I would sooner switch provider than to this model.

6 Likes

Luckily Nick is grandfathering users first and not doing a Curve and asking people to make sure they ask for it

Otherwise I’d have to move on too

3 Likes

The fiver a month minimum works for me. Although an early adopter I’m happy to forfeit unused data as I can see my usage case is not viable for Zevvle otherwise.

Keep up the good work but I’m unlikely to switch to the bundles suggested.

My only concern is that this is going for the multi-SIM angle which I love but the problem is that for Data only SIMs this is more expensive than the current model at least in my current scenario.

I have the full 5 SIMs, two are (or will be) in phones and will require minutes, the other three don’t. Under the current plan I’ll be paying:
4 x Extra SIM @ £2 (£8)
2 x Unlimited Voice and SMS @ £6 (£12)
5 x 1GB Data @ £2 (£10)
Total: £30

The total on the new scheme is £32, yes it’s only £2 but it’s still more expensive.

I think the bundles will attract potentially more ‘normal’ people than the raw PAYG model but then I remember that all of the people I’ve signed up have been because of the PAYG model. It’s a tough one for sure.

Edit:
Just noticed that double the data (10GB) is only an extra £3 so that’s the point you would make more significant savings and once I’ve moved the missus over is probably more realistic usage.

I can also see this could be very compelling for businesses down the line.

I think for bundles to work well then Direct Debits would definitely need to be introduced especially coupled with a Monzo account and Bills Pots!

3 Likes

To be able to do a proper comparison of the old and new pricing, could I please get a CSV (or similar format) with a break down of my usage. The current voice call monthly summaries lump all calls together, whereas it would be useful to see broken down by chargeable type. Eg incoming free, outgoing UK, outgoing roaming EU, incoming while roaming EU, outgoing international country group X.
Call type on one axis and month and year on the other.

Could make this a standard feature, with options for single SIM or the whole account as part of the unique selling point of making your usage data available easily available.

I’d also find it useful for an option with the monthly bar graphs to show usage rather than cost.

Based on my rough estimates from prior usage (single SIM), I’m data heavy compared to calls and texts but still using only around around 3-7 GB of data at the moment. As far as I can see with this usage pattern the current pricing works out cheaper. On months where I’m using significantly more data then the new pricing will start working out cheaper.

At which points will you be able to change the bundle? Can you change the bundle of the current month of you see towards the end of the month or bundle that your usage is low or high.

Will you be able to see how far through the bundle you are? With alerts that you are close to the end of the bundle?

1 Like

Luckily so far I’ve got no roaming calls or texts, so their cost would turn to 0 extra over the bundle in the new pricing.

The new pricing does work well for higher usage, though lower than around 5 to 10 GB per month based on my initial analysis it’s more expensive depending on the amount of calls and texts you do.

2 Likes

I’m not sure. It’s gone from me not having to make a choice to me having to predict how much data I’ll use in advance.

6 Likes

I think for now I’ll stay on the PAYG …
4 SIMs (1 + 3@£2/month each) + my light usage (~£4/month) is dramatically cheaper than £25/month of 4 SIMs at 1GB :confused:

2 Likes

Translation of: simpler if you just look at the price and don’t care what’s wasted

I guess?

I was about to switch on the premise of £2/GB as I’m currently paying £8 for 4GB with plusnet. Your current pricing gives me the same allowance but with flexibility of adding more data or having it rollover to the next month.

With the new proposed plans, I’m looking at £10-£12 for 4GB. Unfortunately this doesn’t work for me, personally. I’m sure it will work for others but I’m afraid I’m out. Best of luck!

1 Like

Hello all,

So… we underestimated a few things. We thought the shared-multi-SIM-allowance route was the way forward, but after thinking about this all weekend and speaking with a lot of you it’s clear we were wrong. We’ve left the blog up with a note as a token of our failure. :smiley:

The reality is, we were over-zealous with £2/GB and underestimated its effects. In other words, something needs to change, and whatever we do will mean a price increase for some of you.

We’ll have some more info on exactly what we’re going to do soon, but for now we’re thinking along the lines of a monthly base price + tiered data rates, closer to what Zevvle was in the beginning. It’s likely we’ll include calls & texts to make them non-PAYG and just worry about data.

Also, it’s worth noting that the very nature of PAYG carries a premium (assuming one fully uses their traditional data bundle). The industry is currently built on most people paying for data they don’t use, and there’s no way around it. There’s an interesting conflict between that, simplicity and data being a commodity.

When we do change things, whether we grandparent everyone with the current setup is TBD. It’s not a question of profit margin, but viability, i.e. can we sustain it?

We’re sorry about the confusion; thank you for all your comments. :blush:

6 Likes

Hi Kevin; thank you for joining the forum! Totally understand, and whatever we do we won’t be able to match Plusnet’s deal. Either way, thank you for considering us. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So, now I’m even more concerned :laughing:

1 Like

The simple facts are that most people will be driven by price. Some will be influenced by the superb CS (will that scale?), the in app controllability and the fairness of the offering.

In order to be viable any business has to cover its costs and make enough to reinvest and make it worthwhile running.

I would suggest formulating a pricing plan that emulates Zevvle’s costs. If that doesn’t appeal to sufficient customers then time to call it a day. You tried and your vision wasn’t shared by enough other people - no shame in that. You set it up and stayed true to your vision - something plenty of other businesses can’t boast.

I look forward to the new model.

3 Likes

I’m highly interested in knowing what I’m costing and not wanting to make zevvle a loss.

I’d say the £5/month charge would be ok, especially if extra SIMs were included or at a cheaper rate (maybe 25-50p/SIM?)
Maybe £3 for data might keep it cheap but not at a loss?

PAYG + ‘line rental’ was a really nice model!

I don’t know the sums and this is all speculation but what I’m getting at is something like £15/month for my usage with 3 extra SIMs is really do-able, £20+ not so much so!

2 Likes

Me too.

There are many people out there who use there phone very little, like a handful of minutes, text, data each month. I suppose these people the major networks can support, however small MVNOs would need a certain critical mass before they can do. Interestingly most people are happy with the line rental plus calls model for landlines, yet it’s rare to see that model for mobiles.

Having a few base packages that include the line rental plus mins, text, and data that target different usage amounts could be a away around it, especially as the unlimited calls and texts are decreasing in value, and for me would be a bonus to the data that I used.

I’m currently on a single sim, and for my current usage looking to spend around £8-15 per month on average, with very busy months potentially going over the £20 mark. My usage is quite spikey, hence being attracted to Zevvle’s model, of not needing to plan in advance how much I’m going to use. Of course this not needing to pre-purchase or plan in advance does come at a premium.

I’ve been thinking tiered pricing so that the more that you use, the cheaper it gets would be revolutionary in the pay as you go market, whilst following the Zevvle USP.

3 Likes

We’ll think about this… :sweat_smile: the problem is we can’t talk about our wholesale pricing, and it’d then be easy to reverse-engineer.

This bodes well for us… we’ll have more details next week. :blush:

2 Likes

Didn’t you a few posts up guarantee that everyone would be grandfathered without asking? :grimacing:

Is it under an NDA?

The thing is without knowing it it makes it hard for you to consult us of any changes and for us to be aware of what is reasonable and what isn’t :cold_sweat:

2 Likes

That was in relation to the multi-SIM bundles. However we’re going to do it anyway. :slight_smile:

Yep!

3 Likes