Web Data Usage reporting 10 times higher

Hi Nick,

I think there’s an issue with Data Usage on the web app, it seems to be multiplying usage by 10?!

Web

iOS App

2 Likes

Hi Dan — thank you for pointing this out! The total on the web includes add-on usage, which we haven’t figured out how to show cleanly yet (given that add-ons don’t expire). The mobile app is incorrect in the other direction — the current usage is right, but the total includes the already-used add-on data.

Is there any particular way you’d like to see the breakdown?

It’s on our list of things to fix :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thinking about this, we may just exclude the add-ons from the calculation altogether. At least that’s a nicer surprise, and we’ll make sure the interface is clear about what happens if you run out.

1 Like

For the month view I’d like to see the actual usage for the month. I suppose it’s a bit of a balance to show that I’ve used all of the monthly bundle and some of the extra usage bundle in some way. Having the actual usage along with the bundles available I can then make a decision towards the end of the month as to whether I need to go down or up a bundle.

3 Likes

If we can’t think of a better way, I think the way the current iOS app does it is probably better than the web version. I get what you’re trying to achieve but I think it’ll just confuse people (as it did me).

1 Like

@nick
Don’t laugh at my maad design skillz, but here’s an idea :smile:

4 Likes

I love that you did this :sweat_smile:

Thinking of something similar, to have a breakdown of usages exactly like you’ve drawn!!

3 Likes

I think this keeps it simple. A note that says your data plan is used first until exhausted would then serve as explanation.

3 Likes

Also need to consider the add on bonus data such as from referrals.

2 Likes

In theory, since addon bonuses are non-expiring just like bought add-ons, they can just be added to the addon progress bar, and there will be a transaction log that just says “bonus data +x GB” logged on the date you earned the bonus.

I thought the bonus data reoccurred each month and was used before the paid add ons.

I have only ever earned the Detective bonus, which was simply a one-time gift of 1GB. That was simply a 1GB addon that had an infinite expiry date, but it wasn’t refreshed once it was exhausted.

either you or I are misunderstanding how the bonuses work. I can’t claim to know how it works well based on my limited experience.

That’s right, the federal bonuses are recurring

Do you mean referral?

I didn’t realise that it was a one time add on. I’m using so little data at the moment I’m barely touching the normal monthly 1GB bundle, this hasn’t seen any of it get used yet. I wonder if the past month or two is have been cheaper on the older PAYG data pricing.

I’m not sure how I could have so badly typed the word referral for it to autocorrect to federal! :joy:

1 Like

There are 3 types of data, currently:

• The main bundle (1, 3, 10 GB, etc.) paid for at the start of a billing cycle. This resets every month.
  • Referral data (1 GB per month for everyone that’s joined thanks to you). These also reset every month.
  • Add-ons (1 or 3 GB), paid for at any time and don’t expire. The detective Easter egg is technically one of these as well; we might create a new type in the future…

We use them in that order of priority as well (main bundle -> referral data -> add-ons).

Hope that clears it up :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes, much clearer now. Thanks.