Weird call with pre-recorded Chinese message

I’m also getting these with my Zevvle number.

Tempted to pop my sim in now to see but I turned voice mail off :joy:

Just turn voicemail on, see if they show up.

I get them almost daily.

Just chiming in to say I’ve had these calls too. All from London area code numbers, I assume the most common for VoIP systems.

EDIT: Another one today at 9:08 this morning. Where are they getting this budget from to just autodial a whole number range indefinitely? :thinking:

I get several of these a day and up to now only had partial success in blocking them. But no more since installing NoPhoneSpam, very simple with wildcards, no ads and free.

It’s not on the Play Store but an be downloaded from F-Droid.

Hope it is of help to others.
Dave

1 Like

I’m getting these on a new Zevvle number, but not on my ported number. I wonder though if that’s because of the telephone preference service, as I hadn’t thought to set it up on the new number yet

My previous method of getting cheap data was to buy pre-loaded EE SIMS from ebay to use in the other slot of a dual SIM phone.

On some cards there were no spammers but others were a nightmare, just luck of the draw if the reissued number is on their database. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

After a week of no calls, they started up again yesterday.

Yeah, I imaging that the calls are because Zevvle’s been given a range of recycled numbers that are on spam lists already. I had this once with a ‘new’ landline. It’s pretty irritating.

I got my first of these spam calls on my ‘new’ Zevvle number this morning. Luckily my old number is being ported today. :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Sadly I’ve also had a couple of these on my Zevvle number too - it’s a shame there appears to be a ‘dud’ range of numbers!

1 Like

I received a call this morning around 9:30 am; all I heard before hanging up was some weird music. As others have stated the number is of Chinese origin (+86); I’m porting my old number in so it shouldn’t be a problem for long.

I haven’t given my Zevvle number out to anyone or even used it bar browsing yet; I’m guessing the numbers are in a block of recycled numbers that a telemarketer has added in the past?

The whole thing is strange.
It’s in Chinese to telephone numbers in the UK. What are the chances that the person speaks Chinese? I would say very low, so they are wasting their money making calls to random numbers.

1 Like

I know, this is exactly what I was thinking; these calls are oddly specific in targeting a certain demographic! I also think knowing where the numbers were originally recycled from may be a clue? I doubt though that it’s easy to find that though?

1 Like

Should I answer? lets you block all incoming “foreign numbers”, but would be good to have more granular control, so per country perhaps.

I can’t think of a circumstance where I’d want to take a call from China right now :joy:

1 Like

Indeed, a foreign number block isn’t that helpful as Amazon for one example will call back from some pretty far flung places if you request a customer service callback.

1 Like

An update on this, I did ask EE about what they’ve seen & the possibility of blocking these numbers on their side, but that was a negative.

For the time being there’s not much we can do I’m afraid. If you’re not able/don’t want to switch an old number across, the best we can suggest is to block these numbers. I realise they change frequently so that’s not much help…

As for the future, some combination of on-device identification/blocking and controlling calls on the backend would be ideal. The latter is longer-term, but something on-device we could do sooner. Even so, that’d be a somewhat long project with separate work on Android & iOS.

4 Likes

One thing I have wondered about for a while, not directly related to this, but similar is this…

I’ve read the OFCOM guidance for provision of CLI which clearly means I know everything about it now. So CPs are responsible for ensuring the presentation number is valid. These numbers are fake and do not identify the caller, so why is the CP not acting upon it?

Why are the CPs not working out which originating CPs are sending them illegal CLI and blocking it, stopping calls being made into their network? That’s what OFCOM say must happen.

It’s almost like no one takes any notice of the OFCOM guidelines!

Similar to texts that have a fake name or number. For example, can EE really not block spam and phishing texts that say they are from EE, 150, or anything similar?

2 Likes

The very simplistic answer is that Ofcom implemented the rules very poorly (as usual) and have actually backtracked quite a bit on it because they haven’t got the balls to enforce their own rules properly.

1 Like

I signed up the other day and had a voicemail on my number before I had even activated it. Unfortunately it seems to be the case the EE are giving Zevvle what they know to be bad / recycled numbers. Don’t think there is much that can be done at the moment

1 Like

Seems to be the case unfortunately. I gave up trying to block them and ported an old Giffgaff number which has fixed it.