Weird call with pre-recorded Chinese message

I imagine that these days, most ‘new’ numbers are recycled. What’s problematic here is that it seems to be a batch that are on some sort of spam calling list. Whether EE did this on purpose is an open question, but I suspect not. As I said above, I had the exact same problem with a ‘new’ landline number from BT 6 years ago.

3 Likes

That reminds me of someone who got a new number for his bike shop workshop, and three phone was running so much the person couldn’t get any work done due to people misdialling the local bus company. That was in the early 2000s when phoning for info was still common.

2 Likes

Yep. Exactly the same has happened to me. A number of calls from +86 numbers or 020 VoIP numbers and a number of voicemails left. Dodgy music and Chinese voice as previously described.

I do wonder whether EE has seen an opportunity to offload dodgy SIM numbers to a new start up?

I’ve been getting these quite frequently now too, sometimes they’ll be once a day, sometimes it’ll go a few days with none and then start again daily.

All are from different numbers, either London code or mobiles, and all with a pre-recorded message in what sounds to be Chinese. I keep blocking them but it’s a bit of a pain.

It’s very annoying isn’t it. I have quite a few numbers with different providers. I might get the odd spam call but they move on quickly and never like this. Repeated attempts, and seemingly only to the Zevvle number range.

These calls have dropped dramatically since I signed up to TPS.

On that note, I wonder if TPS signup could be a checkbox option when you join Zevvle. After all, it’s just a quick webform

Edit: I should also mention I’ve systematically blocked them with Should I answer?, so maybe that’s helped too

I’d be surprised if that had any effect at all. I suspect it was the other measure you took that was effective.

2 Likes

I wish I knew that the message was actually saying - might give us a clue. I’ll wait for the next call and record it…

Something similar and along the same lines…

Sorry for it being a link from The Sun, I haven’t found it reported anywhere else.

I have no idea why people call a number back if they don’t recognise it, especially an international one.

1 Like

Remember back to 1994/5 when CallerID was rolled out on the BT Network. Cue loads of angry subscribers daily 1471 then ringing someone saying You’ve called me, why did you call?

I had to call a Belgium number once because it turned out to be NameCheap who were trying to verify my account ownership to remove my 2FA restricted account

I have just received a text from St Georges hospital in Tooting confirming an out patients appointment for a L_____ S___________. I assume that the Zevvle number was previously allocated to LS. I am awaiting a transfer to a new number that hopefully will complete today.

On Monday we updated the hospital as they had our old landline number from nearly 4 years ago.

Got my first one of these today :frowning:

Welcome to the club :grinning:

1 Like

Got around 5 over the past week.

Yep, spotted some showing up in the voicemail on my secondary sims again recently, which are on numbers from Zevvle directly, but never on my primary number which was ported over from Three

Very curious that they seem to only dial EE numbers.