Which is cheaper? SMS or message in a bank transfer?

Is it cheaper to send a bank transfer or an SMS to send a message? Is there a problem with messaging costs?

5 Likes

This is silly! Get telegram or signal or something people

2 Likes

Alternatively, wild suggestion: SMS

2 Likes

Oh interesting, I did not think about lookingā€¦ hereā€™s our graph (since beginning of October):

SMS weirdly enough, or was that rhetorical? :sweat_smile: Itā€™s arcane, but unfortunately nothing quite beats its ubiquitous decentralisation (yet).

3 Likes

But itā€™s nothing like a rich as a messenger app. Send files by SMS?!

1 Like

Thatā€™s an interesting spike.

RCS is about the closest to a decentralised short message sharing service that is almost ubiquitous, if it wasnā€™t for er Apple with their competitor closed garden product and operators not enabling it on their end, meaning that um Google end up doing it in the almost centralised way to get adoption.

1 Like

well, MMS is a thingā€¦ Was pondering on Twitter about IP over SMS, actually; Nick said to me that Iā€™m fine to get really chatty between two numbers on an unlimited addon as long as itā€™s not more than 99 numbers :^)

(previous version of this post suggested IP over MMS; Iā€™ve since remembered that MMS is just web links delivered over spicy SMS anyway)

3 Likes

Since you are thinking about IP over SMS, you might enjoy this tweet where someone has done PPPoLED:

4 Likes

Awesome! Reminds me of someone who built a ā€˜machineā€™ to play Googleā€™s dino with a light sensor hooked up to a servo pressing the spacebarā€¦ canā€™t find it though.

1 Like

I still havenā€™t seen a single Android phone out in the wild where RCS is actually supported. My Android phone on Android 11 keeps pestering me to try the ā€œNew Messages (Beta)ā€ and every time I click ā€œYes, please!ā€, I still see none of the new cool RCS features.

Iā€™ve got RCS enabled on my Android 10 phone, and use it with some people. Requires both people to have it enabled.

Ah. No wonder it never worked. No-one owns an up-to-date Android phone! :frowning:

3 Likes