103 days later

Hello :slight_smile:

As mentioned, here’s an update on Zevvle with a few statistics, 103 days in:

I’d like to continue these at regular intervals (3, 6-monthly?), so let us know what you do/don’t like about this one. And remember, we’re only just getting started, so don’t be fooled by the numbers! :nerd_face:

Also, excuse the lack of updates in the past couple of weeks – we’ve been out of the country for family, and keeping everything going while on the road is harder than we thought. But now we’re back on it, looking forward to what’s ahead!

:rocket:

10 Likes

Thanks for the update. Was interesting to look at the aggregated stats. Personally I haven’t sent a single text :joy:

Did you see any change in growth rate since the latest price change?

1 Like

How many people do you have working on CS? Is it just you two?

An average of 1.13 GB of data is much lower than I thought (even though the average age of an activated SIM probably is only a few weeks).

Actually, given your total activations and compound WoW growth, it should be possible to calculate the average account age, right?

Am also a sucker for data visualisations like this so please do keep them coming…

(as another aside, when did first public SIMs get activated? I thought it was in August - does that mean the usage on the charts before that is just you and Tim?)

2 Likes

Signup opened on 31st May and the first SIMs were sent out on the following Monday if I recall correctly.

Fantastic work @nick, it’s been a fantastic ride so far and I still can’t wait to go #fullzevvle when my main contract expires!

2 Likes

Yep, so with each price change it spiked – only the average is 12%; some weeks it’s been 2%, other’s over 30%. It’ll stabilise over time, but spikes have a big effect at the moment. With these numbers there’s not much to read into, but thought it’d be nice to share. :slight_smile:

And we haven’t attempted to optimise anything yet (referrals, website, etc.), so there’s a lot of room for improvement…

It’s just us 2!

Woo! :tada:

3 Likes

Good news. I so wish Zevvle the best

2 Likes

Well done. :smiley:

I think updates every 3 months then after 1st year of being live jump to 6 months. :smiley:

:partying_face::partying_face::partying_face::partying_face:

1 Like

I’m surprised the data use is so low. Presumably the old pricing was keeping that down.

Plus some people (me at least) switched, because the pricing is great for very low usage

1 Like

Thanks for providing the stats, they are rather interesting.

There’s some of my busier days in the early days where I used around a half (only one occasion I’ve spotted) or quarter of the total data that everyone used, which is fairly easy when tethering.

The text messages have a spike caused by me too.

The past month or so seems to have my usage a bit more lost in the noise as the number of sims/accounts has increased, and my usage has been relatively low. That’s a good thing, and hopefully over time as more people switch to Zevvle the stats will become have fewer spikes, or where they do exist it’s due to a general pattern or big event.

I’d be interested to know if there’s much difference between days of the week, e.g. do weekdays have more usage than weekends?

In a similar way that banks publish the current account switching stats, is there a similar release of data for mobile number PAC switching?

4 Likes

A percentage of users who port would be interesting!

3 Likes

Good q, these are the daily averages since launch (in gigabytes):

Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun
1.43 1.55 1.16 1.07 0.89 1.35 1.06

1.21 weekday average, 1.22 weekend average.

And just in September:

Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun
2.40 2.27 2.34 3.24 1.02 1.50 1.97

2.26 weekday average, 1.81* weekend average, so 20% lower this month.

Looking at some other stats, it’s cool that more data has been used so far in September than all of July. “Well duh, that’s how growth works,” but it still makes me smile. :sweat_smile:

*1.81 ≠ (1.50 + 1.97) / 2; the mean of a whole set ≠ the mean of the means of subsets…

For us, it’s exactly 50% at the moment!

4 Likes

Interesting stats. On the all time not sure if it’s a coincidence that Friday has the lowest data usage, which also happens to be the day I’m least likely to commute to work, i.e. work from home day. At the weekend I’m also more likely to be out and away from WiFi coverage on a Saturday than a Sunday.

Due to paternity leave I’ve not commuted yet when I tend to have higher data usage due to tethering. Did have a bit more due to up and down to the hospital however no where near as high as a commute.

1 Like

I originally turned data off on my iPhone because I’d no idea how much data I actually used coming from an unlimited plan with 3 so my usage was very low. Nw that I’m more comfortable with Zevvle I’m turning it back on and just keeping an eye on spending.

2 Likes

I thought I would report my experience/use and pose a question.

To me calls are most important so the pricing, (now fixed with £5 unlimited) lack of 4g calling and MVNOs generally not accessing the full spectrum means that Zevvle cannot be my primary provider. However I do go hill walking and also have a Samsung Xcover 3 that I use for mapping. I also use it as a hotspot in my caravan. I have just ordered a GPS tracker for the caravan. It will need a 2g sim. For the amount of data it is going to use and the odd text it will send would a 2nd sim with Zevvle make sense or should I just get an O2 PAYG sim at 3,2, 1 pricing?

1 Like

Totally understand, and thank you for giving us a chance! I hope we will support those at some point, but that’s the future.

I’m inclined to say the O2 SIM, but do look at the terms as well (e.g., minimum top-up). If it’s using say 200 MB/month and ~a couple dozen texts, then they probably have a better deal.

2 Likes

Thanks Nick.

I am right in thinking that I cannot pay by Direct Debit (yet) and that I have to message you to change payment cards?

1 Like

I should also mention that the £5/month minimum doesn’t apply to you, so you might be better off with Zevvle for that SIM after all.

Currently, yes. We have planned Direct Debits for some businesses we’re onboarding, but that won’t be live for a couple of months.

2 Likes

Is it particularly difficult to implement allowing us to change details ourselves?

Also, DD’s seem very weird an idea to me for a prepaid product :thinking: like, I don’t know the amount so charging it to my card makes more sense to me

But card is probably a lot more expensive for you, right? Maybe it might be better to use something like GoCardless (i want to say it’s literally less than 10p) and then really sell the Direct Debit guarantee to build product confidence

1 Like

Could have a business product that’s got pay as you go pricing but done post pay each month.

1 Like

Difficult, no. If we made it trivial, someone could easily change the details and request a refund, so there’ll be something to make it a little harder (fingerprint ID would probably suffice). Call us cautious, but… :man_shrugging:

It’d only be for the monthly top-ups; we’re going to start with the setup we’ve got and see how it goes. If the whole balance/PAYG thing is a deal-breaker we’ll do something different.

This is likely way to go; each monthly bill would then include last month’s usage and the next month’s SIM card fees.

2 Likes