New PAC switching details announced

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/06/ofcoms-new-text-to-switch-process-for-uk-mobile-operators-begins.html

Single number to text for all operators with options for taking number with you, terminating the contract, or getting into about your current contract. Starts next week.

4 Likes

We’ll aim to have a post up about this next week with a breakdown of the changes and how they affect you :slight_smile:

1 Like

What we need now is a ban on termination fees aside from device cost.

Maybe if you’re early upgrading on the same network, but I don’t think it’s fair that if you sign a 24 month contract with a network that you can leave any time by just paying the rest of the device off - you committed to something, just like the network did in supplying you. How would SIMOs work when they have a length of time attached to them?

Eh, O2 passed me around for hours on end and I’m stuck with them unless I pay them a lump sum. That’s bollocks.

All they’ve done is credited me £80 and assured me that they’ve went and distributed an email to all managers to give to their people so no one else has to go through what I did.

I’m still not happy with them as all I asked for was for them to let me terminate my contract (I was planning on swapping to EE actually) but they ended up crediting me £80 (which is about £3 short of my termination fee)

So I reordered the Apple Watch (which was originally where the dispute came from) and will probably pay that off if they screw me around again (since it’s £5 a month I’m not too bothered if I did have to pay for that, since 1/4 of the time is discounted anyways)

But tl;dr I look at it a different way. If I have a reasonable expectation that you’re incapable of providing your service to me properly, that I have to go through significant hassle to actually get the right answers and I’m not paying a device off (airtime is literally just for a service they’re going to be providing you) then I don’t see why I can’t break out without fees

1 Like

Oh, if you’re leaving because of a genuine issue with the network and they’ve dicked you around then yeah, you should be able to just pay the device off. I’m just saying in most cases, you shouldn’t be able to

2 Likes

I agree, I think it should be a case for the communications ombudsman to decide if you should be able to break contract, but I definitely believe there needs to be a provision for it if they’re dicking you around.

2 Likes

Also, come to the dark side of EE :wink: :joy:

I’m actually rocking my Zevvle sim now, I’m stuck with O2 for another 2 years or so though sadly ;( although i’ll just pay off the Apple Watch an consider this somewhat of a credit line /shrug

Nice, how are you finding the coverage of Zev/EE compared to O2? For me it’s like night and day in Bristol - O2 is appalling; if there’s even one other person around on them it instantly congests down to 0.5 Mbps with a stupidly high ping

Coverage in signal bars seems to be a bit worse, I get 3-4 on O2 and I’m getting 2-3 with EE/Zevvle. Not really noticed the lack of signal though (and I’ve only been looking at signal while I’m at work tbh)

Granted I’m in the most insignificant town on the South West (Swindon)

Speeds on 4G are actually banging though

Speeds are blazing when you get LTE-A masts :ok_hand:

1 Like

Do they? If they actually commit to serving you the incidents regarding poor customer service, poor network speeds (because they don’t bother managing capacity and just get everyone onboard) and similar wouldn’t be a thing.

There shouldn’t be contracts on something that costs zero to set up and zero to cancel. At least on physical infrastructure I can understand as the contract is usually there to recoup the initial install cost but on mobile?

1 Like

I agree entirely. I tried explaining this to O2.

I have literally no trust that you can provide me good service and I’m not willing to give you money for something when I’m not receiving a service from it.

There’s no mobile to pay off, so what on earth am I paying for? Data that I haven’t used? Can shove it where the sun doesn’t shine :slight_smile:

1 Like