Ofcom had a field day

Hello :blush:

As you may know, Ofcom brought in some new regulation on Monday July 1st to make switching easier.

We wrote a few words on this (blog below), and in summary, whichever network you’re on:

• to switch and keep your number, text “PAC” to 65075;
  • to switch and get a new number, text “STAC” to 75075;
  • to get more info on switching, text “INFO” to 85075.

At the moment, our switching messages are generic and, beyond including the PAC/STAC, not very useful – we’re working to get them enriched with specific info for you should you want to leave… :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Testing, testing :wink:

1 Like

Isn’t this contradictory?

3 Likes

Yes, thank you for pointing it out. Fix en route :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Well done to OFCOM. Switching has always been a pain (I guess it’s supposed to be) but this is a big step forward.
Now it’s down to the networks to rely on their offerings and accompanying service to keep people with them :smiley:

3 Likes

Should bring prices down too because they’re still allowed to call you to offer your retention deals

1 Like

Just tried all those and it seems to work well for most use cases. In my case it failed on the STAC thing because I’ve already asked for a PAC.

Just wondering if you’re receiving those things and handling them or is the enabler doing all of it for you behind the scenes?

2 Likes

I tried it at 0632 on Monday morning.

It didn’t work.

1 Like

Worked for me later today. Could you try again? Wondering if it’s just timing or if it’s due to your number (did you port a number out from EE and they somehow think you’re still with them?).

2 Likes

I could but it would fail again.

It’s because my sim and my son’s sim are on the same account.

I had to phone them last night and, to be fair to EE, they were excellent and issued PACs for both numbers without stalling.

They then asked if anything they could do. Polite and not pushy.

But, today I received an unsolicited call from them whilst I was at work. Not too happy about that.

4 Likes

They do it all, although currently working on deferring to us for the messages so we can put anything in there (the codes as well) :slight_smile:

2 Likes

:heart:

Finally someone standing up to this BS. Companies should understand this is not OK and let the customers reach their own decision instead of rushing them (or even worse, wasting their time because they’ve already decided otherwise).

1 Like

Only tangentially related, but EE were fined last month for sending marketing texts to their users without their consent under the pretense that they were customer service messages.

2 Likes

Jolly good.

I’ve argued with them for years about this practice.

2 Likes

Have the exploits with number spoofing not put an end to this?

This is handled by the originating network, it won’t/shouldn’t succeed if it arrives from outside that network.

Are you saying they can tell somehow? And then is it really impossible to spoof from within?

The idea is that if they’ve done their job properly and designed the network with common sense in mind it shouldn’t be possible for an external text message (originated outside the network) to hit the code path that handles these special numbers.

3 Likes