Pricing 4.0

Hi Ryan! Thank you for joining the forum :slight_smile: you can set automatic top-ups, and we’ll notify you several times before anything like that happens.

2 Likes

To quote myself from above:

Hope that helps :slight_smile:

One way to look at this would be that if you agreed to the £5 subscription in the beginning, you’re now getting 2.5 GB of data for free (or calls or messages). In hindsight we should have gone straight to this, but there’s not much we can do now.

5 Likes

I have to disagree, I think tiered pricing is much worse from a user experience perspective (at least for this user). Twilio has set things out clearly, but it still makes my mind hurt, and trying to understand how it’s going to impact my usage seems impossible. A simple £15/3 months is much easier to comprehend/use for me.

Exactly this! This is actually perfect for me. My usage is likely to be around £5/month, but some months it’s more and some months it’s less. Trying to guess by switching bundles each month often catches me out, and in any case my periods of higher/lower usage don’t always fall on the month boundaries.

I am so excited about this new pricing model, I think it’s amazing, and a real bargain.

8 Likes

We’re getting there @nick :slight_smile:

As you told me - I like the pricing change. A lot more affordable now as I rarely use above 8GB a month and I don’t really make calls or texts :wink: (only receive, which to my knowledge are free?)

Now all I’m waiting for is eSIM (incl Apple Watch) and my contract to expire and I’ll be a Zevvler :wink:

Edit: forgot to include that global roaming :cold_sweat:

1 Like

They are free within Europe. Outside Europe there can be a charge to receive calls.

3 Likes

Thanks for the clarification :slight_smile:

I think the £5 minimum spend is completely acceptable, but agree it could be comminucated far better.

Simply stating “£5 minimum top-up per month (or £15 per 3 months), any unused credit will roll-over” makes sense to me, and if anything would be a plus for most low data users.

Lets say I am usually using £7 worth of data a month, but I am topping up £10, this is then slowly building up a buffer that I can then use in the future, maybe I’m camping or traveling, I can spend without the upfront cost.

Still saving money in the long run and still able to get the extra cash back if I leave.

This to me is very similar to how energy is paid for, especially the pay upfront compaies like Bulb.

5 Likes

… I really like this new pricing and it’s much better value than the £5/month + £5/GB I signed up for!!

Keep up the good work guys :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You raise a very good point about building up a lot of credit and then stopping the top-ups for a more than 3 months to use up the credit. I’d hope that as long as you have used about £15 over the 3 months then you would be covered without any notification given.

3 Likes

Agreed, we’ll work on that. This isn’t the final iteration, but we hope it’s going in the right direction…

And thank you for joining!

6 Likes

Certainly heading in the right direction!

2 Likes

An aspect of the pricing that isn’t advertised is there being no minimum or connection charge for calls that some other PAYG operators include. Might be worth highlighting as a selling point. Especially useful when you get through to someone’s voicemail and hang up instead of leaving a message.

2 Likes

Not sure if this should be it’s own thread but…

My own sim is happily on EE for e-sim and BT Sports reasons but I’m looking at moving the other three household members who are on Smarty at the moment and just want to make sure I’ve got the costings right…

1st sim - £5 / month minimum
2nd sim - £2 + £5 / month minimum
3rd sim - £2 + £5 / month minimum

£19 in all to get them connected with effectively 2.5gb each + extra gb/calls/messages on top if they use the full 2.5gb?

Although on one account, none of the money is shared and will each need their own top up?

The £5/month minimum is per account, so for the 3 SIMs it’ll be a minimum of £9/month. They all share the same balance & top-ups, although only the account owner (you, in this case) can top-up and change the account settings (e.g. the monthly top-up, auto top-up when the balance is low, etc.).

Hope that helps :slight_smile:

1 Like

It does indeed. Thanks, Nick :+1:

1 Like

So technically I could build up £1000+ credit and get it refunded if I close the account?

1 Like

There’s a maximum amount of credit is £250, though this can be increased by messaging in app as per the terms and conditions.

Your maximum account balance is £250; if you need more than this message us in-app. For your security, we only make refunds to the card registered on your account.

3 Likes

The next question is what if that card is cancelled? I’m already a bit stuck as I have to message to change the card at all.

1 Like

That’ll change, but yes you would need to change the card in this case. But then, why would one rack up £100’s in the account anyway…?

For manufactured spending reasons. If it’s possible, I’d do it :speak_no_evil:

(I’ll happily give you the free interest in exchange)