Transparent pricing for us all

Hi All!

Tim here, Nick’s older and wiser but not smarter brother. Before linking to my first blog post with Zevvle – thank you for all you’ve contributed on this forum to get us to this point. Zevvle would look very different without you.

We haven’t released worldwide pricing yet because there’s more work to do on our end, but we’re going to make it as clear as possible. For example, sending an SMS from the UK to anywhere in the world will be 10p, but calls aren’t as straightforward.

Details about our referral program coming tomorrow :slight_smile:. Without wishing to sound like an Apple product launch, we’re really excited about it!

4 Likes

I really like how you’ll be able to get 5 SIMs on one account for £5! That’ll make this quite interested for people with lots of devices - me included

1 Like

Looking forward to getting my hands on some SIMs!

Welcome to the forum Tim. I like the pricing structure, though looks like I’ll need to switch off things like the auto upload of photo over the mobile network until the price per GB come down. £2-3 per GB is the magic figure to come in line with my past usage, though that doesn’t take account of the minutes and sms messages. I wonder if various other data based messaging systems would work out slightly cheaper.

Hopefully economies of scale will mean that the prices will come down.

Multi sims look interesting especially if they are able to be used by families with sub-accounts. i.e. keeping me and my wife’s phone number and usage separate. Then both parents could keep an eye on the kids usage and topup as appropriate. Limit data usage for the kids after bed time. Max usage per day/week/month per user. Could be a really interesting direction you could go here.

1 Like

I am excited by the new network but the pricing per GB is a little alarming. In saying that I am not your target customer as I use far too much data and so it would be far too expensive for me.

However for people that are light to medium users who don’t want the hassle of picking a year to 24 month contract and who use more text and calls then data it’s ideally placed. :+1:

1 Like

Totally agree about the high cost of the data compared to some of the 30 day monthly tariffs. I’ve got the spreadsheet out and looked at the costs compared to my current 30 day contract to what it would cost with Zevvle, and on a month with relatively low usage (3.5-4GB, 1 hour of calls, and 20 texts), I’d be looking at double the cost with Zevvle. On a high usage month (8-10GB, 1-2 hours of calls, 50-70 texts), I’d be looking at around 4 times the cost.

Halving the data cost from £5 per GB to £2.50 wouldn’t make any month cheaper. If I do make the jump, reducing the data usage through less tethering and ensuring certain apps (looking at Dropbox, Backblaze etc) don’t run and avoiding auto photo backup while on the mobile network, could bring the cost down enough to not be an issue.

Hopefully once there’s more people on the network there’ll be enough economy of scale to reduce the pricing.

1 Like

We hear you. :pray: That we’ve started at this pricing (and that the UK average £/GB is £5.15) gives some sense of the wholesale costs. A 10GB for £20 or even £15/month plan can only exist because there are some people using 1GB, averaging out the profit margin. We didn’t want to do the same and rely on some customers subsidising others.

With economies of scale this will absolutely come down; I don’t know when but you’ll be the first to know. One day, I’d love for it to be £1/GB or even truly unlimited and you just pay for speed (e.g. £10/mo for 1Mbps).

That’s exactly what I’ve done. My last contract was 30GB/mo and I used ~10-15GB, so I definitely couldn’t afford that (we at Zevvle are paying as well!). This month I’ve used 1.2GB so far…

3 Likes

This is almost exactly what we’ve got planned. :smirk:

2 Likes

It’s funny, but I have the opposite take. I think the price/GB is excellent. I generally use less than 500MB/month, though some months need a bit more, but well under 1GB. I don’t even text or call that much, though I do some. 100 min and 100 texts would be a normal month for me, though it can be more like 150+150. Even at 100+100, it would be £6 on Zevvle. So my monthly cost would be £5 sub + £5 data + £6 calls/texts (and sometimes more like £9) = £16/month (or £19/month). As much as I’d love to switch to Zevvle, that’s a bit difficult to justify when I’m currently paying £6/month.

I’m still really excited to see where Zevvle goes, though, as I’m sure things will evolve to a point where I can move over eventually. It’s just that right now I’d be going from £72/year to £200+/year. :grimacing:

1 Like

This is exactly where I’m at. I have 60GB on my Sharer Plan (which now only has me on it) but in its peak I was using 10-20GB across 4 devices. But to make it feel ‘worth it’ I have Mobile Data turned on for everything! I have a 256GB iPhone X and apart from right now because I’m on holiday and synced some stuff, there is usually zero stuff on my phone and I just stream everything, have mobile uploads turned on my Camera Roll (so juicy 4K 60fps footage gets uploaded), etc. I don’t connect to the work Wi-Fi because I don’t need to (the mast is outside the office so I get 150Mbps+ down), I have Wi-Fi Assist turned on, you get the drift!

When I get home, I’m going to leave everything switched off, which I did for going away, and see how much data I do actually use.

I definitely plan on using the multi-SIM when that’s available. I have a SIM in the car (currently FreedomPop grandfathered plan), a SIM in my iPad (was EE but cancelled so currently dead) and one in a NETGEAR Mobile Router (EE cancelled) which all have very little use but are handy to have for different purposes that I’d like to get back up and running again!

I hear what your saying but that makes you a low user for calls and texts and data which is what I was saying above. With data costs per GB being as expensive as it is it makes sense for people to rein in their usage.

Thank you Jolin, we hope you join us someday. As others have noted elsewhere in this thread, these prices are just our starting point. While we may never be competitive on price with the network you’re currently with, we will get closer. That being said, price is just one area we’re competing with the other folks :slight_smile:

2 Likes

When you get home, do let us know how much data you use with everything switched off, I’m curious! Stay tuned on the multi-SIMs, they shouldn’t be too far away…

1 Like

Does this mean that texts to EU countries is 3p or am I misreading something?

Also I checked and I average about 700MB/month usage so this seems like a good deal for me! :slight_smile:

1 Like

When roaming in mainland Europe texts within the EU, that includes messages back to the UK, cost 3p each. But, when texting from the UK to EU countries they are 10p each. It’s because when in the UK, messages to mainland Europe aren’t considered roaming and wholesale rates are higher. We’ll make this clearer when we release our international roaming pricing. Sorry for the confusion!

1 Like

I’m in same boat as you (all be it I have 2 pones one on contract until January 2020) and think this pricing is a great start.

1 Like

I completely agree and understand that. I should have been clearer, I’m not expecting Zevvle to necessarily get down to what I’m paying now, I would be willing to pay more for what I think will be an amazing service. It’s just that currently, it’s too much of an increase for me to afford. I will definitely be following things and moving across as soon as I can. :telephone_receiver::slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Just thought of this whilst driving home from the airport, as you do.

With it being £5 for 1GB will you be billed £5 in advance and then have the GB show separately or will it technically be 0.5p per MB (guessing you’re using 1000MB for 1GB for simplicity) and the balance will reduce in real-time?

2 Likes

The latter; we’ll try to make that clearer! You’ll have an account balance and usage decreases it in near-realtime. We’re actually using 1024MB as 1GB; 1000, although technically correct, felt like we were cheating. Our billing works in bytes, and it’s 4.6566128730773926*10⁻⁷ pence/byte.

4 Likes

Pricing seems totally fine by me. The reason it seems high is because the other carriers scam you by signing you up into a contract with much more data than you’d actually use, so you end up subsidising the few that actually do use it, as such they can offer lower prices and bank on the fact that most people won’t actually use the data they’re paying for.

3 Likes