Zevvle 5G?

hello, is there any update to whether zevvle will be getting 5G?

Yes, we will! Not this year, I can say that much. :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

What about unlimited data? :grinning:

1 Like

We don’t have any plans for unlimited data :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ah, that’s a shame.
Thanks anyway! :grin:

What’s the draw of 5G (I don’t pay attention to these things). Is it just mobile data but more so?

2 Likes

What do you mean “what’s the draw of 5G”?

Why would you want your mobile network to support it?

1 Like

Well considering I have a 5G phone it would be nice, I got 1Gbps over threes 5G today

4 Likes

Cool ^^ So it’s all about data rates? Just wondering if there was anything else to it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, the fact it has good speeds and low ping. (I also like to do a lot of speedtests :sweat_smile:)

1 Like

To be honest I’m in a similar boat with that question… you’d think 5G is a revolution given the marketing (and we’ll definitely write about it when we get it because I’m a hypocrite); yes it’s a ~10x improvement – at the cost of 10x more radio masts to cover the country – but I’m skeptical of how much meaningful difference that makes in the day-to-day for most people.*

The faster data is nice, but good 4G is ample to stream 4k video. It might have been better to focus on making what exists more reliable. And I’m only a sample size of 1, but…

Broadband at home:

4G mobile connection:

:man_shrugging:
*This is a backwards-looking generalisation; maybe 5G is the missing piece to some new technologies, but given how the rollout has been lead by the suppliers and lots of salespeople makes me wonder. :face_with_monocle:

3 Likes

Wow, I didn’t know you could get anything like that with a mobile data connection.

Edit: What on Earth would you want more for?!

I get 13Mbps broadband at home. I don’t get any data signal here so couldn’t say anything there.

2 Likes

Why is upload on mobile so much slower than download? (Seems to be both 4G and 5G)

I actually get faster upload at home :joy:. Maybe because I have Spotify and whatever else using a bit of download bandwidth

2 Likes

We could see some 5G based home routers coming up which have much better speed than the standard copper lines a lot of people are on?

1 Like

I think reliable home broadband without needing a wire or fibre is one of the things that 5G will be good for. Similar for things like trains or buses providing wifi to passengers.

I’m currently on 160 down and 30 up at home, though I work from home and work with public transport data, so rather useful to have the faster speed when downloading and reviewing the data to upload it again.

For the average persion increasing the speed is going to do little, except when doing for example big software updates, and we’re getting to the stage soon where the speed to the property will be close to the gigabit speeds within the home network.

The bigger issue is how to deal with wifi crowding/interference, as without solving that, the faster speeds will be useless unless things are wired in.

3 Likes

My home broadband is also slower than my 4G (ignore the fact speedtest says it’s 3G), so the draw of faster speeds isn’t huge. Additionally a few new “5G” deployments can better be described as 4G+ since they still use the LTE standards. I can however see uses for trains etc where not everyone can realistically share the speeds of current 4G.

Oh and yes before someone asks I am my own ISP at home, hence the probably unrecognised ISP name.

4 Likes

I’m wondering if faster speeds helps to reduce latency for things like video calls and thus prevent lag and people talking over each other?

1 Like

Faster speeds could indeed allow for small send/receive buffers which would result in a better video calling experience. How much of an improvement I do not know…

4 Likes

So you can blast through your data cap even faster? :joy:

4G LTE is already capable of at least 150Mbps down which I remember getting on an EE pay & go SIM and the ping was decent. That 5G speedtest isn’t actually that impressive as far as the ping is concerned, which is supposedly one of the perks of 5G. Speed-wise the gigabit speed is definitely good but how stable is it - if you turn your phone the wrong way (“you’re holding it wrong”) does it collapse completely? Let’s not mention the awful upload speeds which is not only throttled to LTE but very bad LTE because it should be capable of much more.

Despite the carriers’ marketing trying to convince you otherwise, there is no technology that I can think of that is behind held back by LTE’s speed. LTE can be made extremely fast if the carriers cared about quality. What’s holding us back (and prevents use-cases such as P2P instead of everything being on the cloud) is the scam that is “limited data”.

1 Like