Zevvle 5G?

How does your setup work? Are you running BGP directly over (what looks like a DSL) link, or are you VPNing to some place where you can peer with others via BGP?

Iā€™m using a not really private virtual network. To put it in simple terms I shove one IP packet directly within another IP packet, routing it to one my routers thatā€™s closest ping wise to my house.

1 Like

Is that not obvious? Uploading and downloading faster. Even if you donā€™t need it for remote work, I often max out my 100/30 wired connection and would definitely use faster speeds if they were available on my mobile.

Just because you wouldnā€™t use it doesnā€™t mean there arenā€™t dozens of valid use cases.

1 Like

True, but when it comes to mobile, the concept of data caps makes high bandwidth connections useless unless the cap can never be reached with reasonable usage (which is anything except running a torrent client maxing out the connection 24/7). At the moment the majority of data caps are nowhere near that and can easily be exceeded especially with remote working.

1 Like

Agreed. I struggled to think of any though :sweat_smile: If you donā€™t mind be asking, what do you do that maxes out your connection?

Those regularly maxing out their connections for long periods are typically working in industries that can afford to pay the data volume charges incurred.

Any time youā€™re uploading multiple streams of video is an obvious one, easily done even with basic video conferencing. As is remote working from the field and needing to work with cloud datasets or sharing large files with an office or even just field backup. A very basic drone or high speed camera can easily generate hundred of gigs in a few minutes and with time sensitive work that speed makes a huge difference.

But weā€™re talking about consumer plans here where most people wouldnā€™t be happy to spend more than ~50Ā£/month.

In the case of an unreasonable data cap where you can burn through it in a couple days of heavy usage (working remotely and downloading Docker containers, Linux ISOs, etc), 5G is absolutely useless and not a worthwhile upgrade. In the case of no cap but predatory overage fees youā€™ll have the anxiety of a huge bill at the end of the month, preventing you from taking advantage of the connection too, so 5G offers very little improvement there as well.

Vodafone seem to be shifting to unlimited data with speed caps for some plans, thus heading in the right direction however expensive for low usage.

3 Likes

Iā€™m hopeful other carriers follow their lead. If so I expect the prices for the lower bandwidth tiers to decrease dramatically, making low usage cheap. A minimal plan for 1Mbps at a few quid a month would be ideal for low-usage situations.

1 Like

Due to the cost of running the account, I wonder if a minimum of around Ā£5 is more likely based on the low end cost of monthly subscriptions?

What cost though? Itā€™s just a row in a database. There should be no cost associated with it if things are done properly and everything is self-service and doesnā€™t require calls to CS for trivial issues.

1 Like

Itā€™s a fair point especially considering thereā€™s no need for fixed infrastructure up to the property.

2 Likes

To add some evidence to the fact that data caps are bullshit, Finland seems to have moved to bandwidth-tiered plans with unlimited data and the carriers are somehow still around and making decent profits. If these guys can do it, why canā€™t we?

2 Likes

If Iā€™m not mistaken, there are 2 types of 5G (which is very confusing).

Thereā€™s FR2 (aka MMwave, > 24GHz band). This is the crazy fast type as shown above, but which basically requires line of sight to a mast and doesnā€™t seem that useful outside of a few niche situations.

Then thereā€™s also FR1 (below 9GHz band), which doesnā€™t offer speeds much above 4G, but potentially offers better coverage.

Iā€™m much more interested in the FR1 type, and while there probably isnā€™t good coverage in the UK at the moment, it would definitely be important to have this in the long term.

What sort of work is required for Zevvle to support this? Would that just be arranging a new contract with your supplier, or would it also involve technical work on your end?

1 Like

Given where we are right now thereā€™s nothing for us to do ā€” things like 5G, Wi-Fi calling, or other telecoms infrastructure is in the hands of our supplier at the moment. It wonā€™t require a new contract or anything, but weā€™ll have more news on this next year. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

5G isā€¦ interesting. O2, itā€™s a real improvement. Vodafone, itā€™s a minor improvement (mainly because their 4G is much faster than O2). And, in my testing, 3ā€™s 5G is often far slower than their 4Gā€¦ I donā€™t even know how. They have the spectrum assets to have excellent 5G, butā€¦ itā€™s 3. Enough said.

I have yet to see a significant latency improvement in testing 5G. Fundamentally, I find it amazing EE charges extra for 5G. For any individual customer, 5G doesnā€™t really offer anything. Instead, itā€™s far more spectrum efficient. Remember, for O2 and EE theyā€™re running 40 MHz of unpaired (TDD) spectrum (50 MHz for Vodafone and 100 MHz for 3). This is far less spectrum than these networks have dedicated to 4G (especially Vodafone and EE, who have mountains of paired/FDD spectrum).

Part of the speeds is just lack of use so far, which may be EEā€™s reason to charge extra - make it look super-fast by keeping users down, since they have plenty of spectrum for 4G.

But long term, the benefit isnā€™t for any individual customer - itā€™s to let more people use the network without congestion and slow-downs.

3 Likes

I was never convinced by the latency claims of 5G. LTE latency is already more than reasonable for a national wireless network and high latency is always caused by overloading and poor network management as opposed to an issue with the protocol itself. Iā€™m also assuming the 5G towers still terminate the data sessions at a central point instead of at the tower itself and that would add a big chunk of latency too regardless of the radio protocol in use.

I find it amazing EE charges extra for 5G

How does that work? Do you get a separate data cap for 5G or do you just pay a flat fee for the privilege of being able to use your existing cap over 5G (basically double-dipping the customer)?

Part of the speeds is just lack of use so far, which may be EEā€™s reason to charge extra - make it look super-fast by keeping users down, since they have plenty of spectrum for 4G.

Thatā€™s not a bad thing per-se, thatā€™s how things are supposed to work. If you need bigger electrical service (in terms of current capacity) you pay more and they install the required infrastructure, if you need faster home internet service you pay more and they install a leased line, etc.

The problem however is that as long as data caps are a thing it indeed doesnā€™t make sense to pay more for the ā€œprivilegeā€ of burning through an artificial cap faster. But if they offered speed-based tiers (even at a large premium) Iā€™d personally switch immediately.

1 Like

EE has different plans for 5G (to a lesser extent other networks do too, but less egregious as theyā€™re not more expensive for the same data, just some prepaid and stuff doesnā€™t have it - like VOXI plans donā€™t except on the high end, and Smarty plans donā€™t for 3. O2 prepaid doesnā€™t at all, AFAIK). Those plans cost a fair bit more for a given amount of data.

That said, theyā€™re better plans in other ways too (the cap is soft and just slows you down rather than overage charges or being cut off, they have international roaming, and the contracts are shorter - though still 18 months which is long for SIM only!). Oh, and the non-5G plans are also capped at 60 Mbps on 4G. Again, might make sense if it wasnā€™t for the fact thereā€™s also a data cap.

Vodafone has gone the speed-based route, with unlimited plans but 2 Mbps, 10 Mbps and no speed limit. I have the no limit plan and itā€™s really good.

Interesting move by BT who own EE to not allow 5G for new customers. (Zevvle use EE via an enabler).
2 Likes